Autumn - Dead Tree!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autumn - Dead Tree!

I liked the shape of the tree and the relationship between the dead yellow/brown leaves on the ground and the brown dead tree and the bare trees in the background. It kind of symbolises autumn in a different way!

What do you think? Comments welcome as always.

350D
    Tv 1/180
    Av 8.0
    ISO Speed 200
    Lens 10.0 - 20.0mm (sigma)
    Focal Length 10.0mm
    Richard

Think before you press the shutter button!

Re: Autumn - Dead Tree!

Think I see what you were tring to do here - its really difficult to capture the autumn colours so well done for trying!

I would perhaps have used an ND grad so as to keep some detail in the sky (it looks a little burnt out ie v white!) or dialled down the exposure a little. Also I am little confused as to what I am supposed to be looking at, the main focal point is perhaps a little lost with so much in the frame...

The 10-20 lens is great for capturing wide angle shots and the one thing that this says to me is while in the woods look for a pathway between the trees, use the effect of the wide angle to get the converging verticals (ie trees bending at the tops into the frame) so it creates a tunnel effect- which might really work, with a B&W conversion you would have a spooky woods shot - perfect for halloween!

Great effort - thanks for sharing!

Comment

Hi Rob, thanks for your thoughts. The sky appears white, because it was. It was rather a cloudy day with only some pale blue showing - hence what you see. As for some paths, well, there weren't any in this case! I also want to get away from the usual type of forest photo that one sees. My attempt at being creative.
      Here is another one of the same tree, but at a different angle. Not sure if it is any better, but perhaps the eye is more focused in the picture. Unfortunately, I don't have a ND graduate filter, or any ND filter! (They are hard to get). So the sky can be a problem sometimes. However, I've been learning how to use a gradient map in photoshop to even out tonal ranges, e.g. dark and light! this seems to work a bit, and have got a little more detail in the sky! (Actually, -there's a lot I can learn in photoshop, and to know how to use it can really improve the photo. Just like knowing techniques in the darkroom!).

Richard

Think before you press the shutter button!

Comment

Hello Richard, the second looks miles better to me I think you could even crop a little off the top and right hand side. I love Autumn.
        Last edited by Copious Light; 31-10-2009, 16:29.

Constructive criticism and comments greatly appreciated.

Comment

I like the second. It gives the photo a focus.

Comment

Working...
          X