Pulpit Rock Portland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulpit Rock Portland

This is my first image, so be gentle with me huh?.... Recent holiday in Dorset had mixed weather, some days a break in the sky was a god send !! I thought it best to convert to mono in PS, in colour it was insipid to say the least.

PULPIT ROCKsmall.jpg

600D
    EF-S18-55mm
    0.8 sec;
    f/18;
    ISO 100
    BW 6xND
    Nostalgia is ok...not as good as it used to be though

Pulpit Rock Portland

Beautifully processed & taken , keep them coming

Tom

Comment

Re: Pulpit Rock Portland

Nice one Rogger............
      My flickr http://flic.kr/ps/2g5eDa
      © JH Foto
      The word photography derives from the Greek φωτός (phōtos), genitive of φῶς (phōs), "light" and γραφή (graphé)

Comment

Looks good to me rogger - perhaps just a wee lift in Levels ??
        Nice movement in the water
        Great first post

Mike
        www.mstphoto.zenfolio.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27554645@N05/

Comment

A nice moody scene. Excellent
          EOS 7D, EOS 600D, EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II , EFS 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS, EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM

Comment

It isn't insipid in B&W! Great shot.

BTW, do you use Lightroom 4? It can be fantastic for lifting what looks like an insipid shot out of the camera. Just a thought... Occasionally those guys at Canon need a little support from the software guys!!

Richard
            Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

I like it a lot, but its maybe a bit dark. I would have another go with a levels or curves adjustment to try and introduce more lighter tones.

Alistair

Comment

Hi Rogger - and welcome to the forum!

Great first post, mean and moody, great water movement. If I had to mention anything at all, I'd say a little lightening would help, and perhaps bring the rock down to the top third line, but that's just my opinion!

Looking forward to seeing more of your shots on here soon!

All the best, Mike.
                flickr
                5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Hi Rogger

Nice composition, with very good depth. I think a little more head room over the rock would help - it looks cramped, and as the main feature I feel that it shouldn't be. The levels need lifting for the lights. The posted image looks as if it needs sharpening a little more.

Good first post!

Comment

Thanks for all your comments, and I have taken note of the issue about levels/brightness on board. I'm not sure if I prefer the new version better or not, I guess I go for the dark brooding look in most of my mono work. Richard... no I don't have Lightroom, I only use CS6 combined with DPP. after mortgaging my soul to Adobe, I'm all spent out on software :-)... Here's the result of the levels ammendment:-

PULPIT ROCK2small.jpg

Once again, thanks to you all, I'm going to enjoy being a part of the forums.
                    Best wishes

Roger
                    Nostalgia is ok...not as good as it used to be though

Comment

Originally posted by Rogger View Post
                      I only use CS6 combined with DPP. after mortgaging my soul to Adobe, I'm all spent out on software :-)... Here's the result of the levels ammendment:-

Roger
                      Oh, I don't know. You could always get Silver Efex Pro for BW conversions - it's excellent. That's another 150 quid. CS6 is amazing, isn't it? I couldn't go back to anything else. The redone image looks better. I agree about the dark broody look, I prefer it myself, but I find I also need at least some strong lights in there to give a shot impact.

Comment

I like the colouring. Great scene.
                        Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                        Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
                        X