Stark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stark

While photographing Warwick Long Bay, we came across this sad looking tree in the mist of Green, pink sands, and blue skies. When I saw this sad tree, my thoughts were that BW would be the way to go to make this tree the star of the image:

Taken with 5DMKII w/EF24mm-105mm F/4L IS USM @ 50mm
    1/100 sec @ F/14, ISO 100

Here is the color version:

Here is what I saw:

WDYT?

Tom

Re: Stark

Hi Tom, I like #2 though I wonder if you could bring up the detail in the bottom right corner? Maybe you chose to leave it that way..Maybe its because I know there is so much there from the colour version? Anyway, its still very good. Thanks for sharing.
    Graydon
    Canon 6D & 7D | Light Room + CS6 |
    EF 70-300L | EF 100 Macro | EF 24-105L | EF17-40L | Canon EF 50mm

Comment

Stark

Thanks Grayton for the comment. Did you mean the bottom left for more detail? If you did, I made it that dark as I did not want to distract from the starkness of the tree. But thanks for the suggestion.

Tom

Comment

Tom - it is stark indeed! I wonder whether you could almost pull back the green so that it almost becomes bright. I don't know how you do it, but to me it loses a little in the interpretation at the moment. I would be interested to see a couple of derivatives from a learning perspective!

Best

Richard
        Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

I like #1. It is very nice, good colours & lovely clouds.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Tom, I think that your thoughts were correct about this being a B&W image. Really like this and the B&W gives the tree "a life".

Thinking out aloud now.... wonder how it would look with a pp infra red "treatment" ??

David
            David

Comment

Stark

Thanks everyone for the comments and thanks David for the idea. May try that tomorrow.

Tom

Comment

Hi Tom, can't blame the iPad auto-correct this time. Sorry I meant left :) I understand your reasons.
                Canon 6D & 7D | Light Room + CS6 |
                EF 70-300L | EF 100 Macro | EF 24-105L | EF17-40L | Canon EF 50mm

Comment

Originally posted by djguk47 View Post
                  Tom, I think that your thoughts were correct about this being a B&W image. Really like this and the B&W gives the tree "a life".

Thinking out aloud now.... wonder how it would look with a pp infra red "treatment" ??

David
                  Ok, used LR, Elements 11, Nik (Color Efex Pro & Viverza) to do the infrared.

Added the BW for easy compare between the 2.

WDYT?

Tom
                  Last edited by tesarver; 10-10-2012, 16:02.

Comment

Working...
                  X