Mackerel Sky at Night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mackerel Sky at Night

This was taken from our balcony in Thailand in the wee hours of Boxing Day and is posted more for interest than anything as it was such a lovely cloud cover racing past the moon for the best part of an hour.

The clouds were moving quite fast so freezing the movement was tricky as I still needed enough light in the shot from the bright moon to expose some detail furthest from it. I still had to boost shadows and drop the blacks in LR4.

Thanks to Ray for telling me the name of this particular type of cloud formation - I'd never heard of it before.
    Andy

5D3 with EF24-105 f4L IS, tripod mounted.
    35mm @ f4.5, 0.7 secs @ ISO 1600, Manual focus.
    Spot metering - I wondered later of evaluative might have been better

BNE_8805.jpg by AndyMackie1, on Flickr

Re: Mackerel Sky at Night

Interesting shot Andy which would probably have done well in my camera club "abstract" theme this week

Stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

Thanks Stan

I've noticed it's a lot darker than the original when coming via Flickr and with dark vignetting which is not in the original either, so here's one with another 1/2 stop exposure and sharpened for screen viewing plus and, and this is a first for me, borders having followed advice from Scuff regarding the plug-in for LR4, mogrify:

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong in exporting to jpeg with the borders but since adding the plugin, LR4 appears to ignore the 5Mb limitation I required and exported anyway to a 20Mb version.

Personally, I much prefer this version and am now sold on the borders concept, even if it does ignore my export size limitations.
      Andy

BNE_8805 by AndyMackie1, on Flickr

Comment

The camera works just fine, it's the idiot staring through the viewfinder that need's help!

Comment

Mackerel Sky at Night

Nicely spotted and taken:

Tom

Comment

Thanks Tom & JaKS
            I like your by-line Jaks and for this shot, taken late at night after one too many and when I should really have been in bed, it couldn't have been more true!
            Cheers
            Andy

Comment

Working...
            X