X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't not share my first real HDR shot

sunset_campsie by Campsie Photography, on Flickr

I took this last night, around 17:30.
    three exposure, -2EV dark, a normal and +2EV light.
    Canon 600D, ISO 100, 1/80th, f8
    18-55mm Kit lens, @18mm

My personal view is that it's the best landscape picture i've ever taken, and i'm pretty proud of it.
    HDR isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I love it.

Only thing that's holding me back with my work is this kit lens, and my work in photoshop. There was a huge amount of lens flare to the left, and I tried to clone it out, and ended up ruining it.

My girlfriend said it straight away, "whats happened to the left" my heart sank.

Anywho, I think for a first try, I'm pretty impressed with the result.

Cheers for looking,

P.S. -- If you have any tips for a good landscape lens, then i'm open to all ears.
    Paul
    Glasgow
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Re: I can't not share my first real HDR shot

Excellent
    The camera works just fine, it's the idiot staring through the viewfinder that need's help!

Comment

Looks great never tried doing a HDR image so might have to give it a go after seeing this one.
      1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
      Facebook
      www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

Impressed thanks for posting it!!!!
        Alun

Comment

Thanks for commenting folks. I used Photomatix Pro 4.2 and the preset was Painterly.
          Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
          www.campsie.photography

Comment

Some nice colours Paul but it looks like you have tried to darken the sun setting which now looks a bit odd grey.

Stan
            Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
            flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
              Some nice colours Paul but it looks like you have tried to darken the sun setting which now looks a bit odd grey.

Stan
              Oh yeah I see what you mean. Hmmm I'll need to try this one again lol
              Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
              www.campsie.photography

Comment

Good light quality, but to my eyes, the photo is not a success. Why? Because I want to see the deep shadows that are not there, and should be there. Shadows are an essential element in conveying the third dimension, in a 2D frame. I wonder if, for a shot like this, a simple use of a graduated neutral density filter (say 3 stops) would have resulted better.

In you photo, even with HDR, the sun is completely over-exposed.

Comment

Originally posted by pbizarro View Post
                  Good light quality, but to my eyes, the photo is not a success. Why? Because I want to see the deep shadows that are not there, and should be there. Shadows are an essential element in conveying the third dimension, in a 2D frame. I wonder if, for a shot like this, a simple use of a graduated neutral density filter (say 3 stops) would have resulted better.

In you photo, even with HDR, the sun is completely over-exposed.
                  Cheers for the tip.
                  i'm not investing in any filters at this time, because i'm looking to upgrade my lens for landscape work, so no point in buying gear for a 58mm lens and my new lens may have a bigger filter thread.

Is the sun not going to be blown out in every instance anyway in this type of shot? I don't think i've ever seen a shot where the sun is properly exposed.
                  Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                  www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
                    Cheers for the tip.
                    i'm not investing in any filters at this time, because i'm looking to upgrade my lens for landscape work, so no point in buying gear for a 58mm lens and my new lens may have a bigger filter thread.

Is the sun not going to be blown out in every instance anyway in this type of shot? I don't think i've ever seen a shot where the sun is properly exposed.
                    Hi Paul Apologise if I'm telling you something you already know, many people use Lee or cokin square filters(oblong), these slot into a holder attached to the lens and you buy an adapter ring for each lens you might use. Often a very wide lens will want an additional filter holder which will be an extra cost to the various starter packs! Again apologise if i mis understood you, got to run for work. Still liked the colour etc!!!! sun overdeveloped or not.
                    Alun

Comment

I think you have used the detail enhancer option in your HDR software, is this from CS3 it doesn,t look like Photomatix if it was you could use fusion blending to get the shadows. The sun burn out is unavoidable at +2.
                      An Image in Time is a Stepping Stone to Eternity

Comment

Originally posted by Judder Man View Post
                        I think you have used the detail enhancer option in your HDR software, is this from CS3 it doesn,t look like Photomatix if it was you could use fusion blending to get the shadows. The sun burn out is unavoidable at +2.
                        Yes it was Photomatix Pro 4.2 and it was my first time using it, so I guess i'm not familiar with how the settings change it so. I think I slid one slider and it changed to that horrible HDR look that looks fake, so I changed it back and went on to LR for subtle edits.
                        Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                        www.campsie.photography

Comment

Originally posted by Paulstw View Post
                          Yes it was Photomatix Pro 4.2 and it was my first time using it, so I guess i'm not familiar with how the settings change it so. I think I slid one slider and it changed to that horrible HDR look that looks fake, so I changed it back and went on to LR for subtle edits.

Try loading your bracketed photos again, don't move any sliders, just confirm the processing. If I can remember there are are 16 image presets in the first set is FUSION-DEFAULT select that one, export it to Photoshop. Then just darken the highlights slightly and you should get your shadows back. Fusion Default in Photomatix is a "very mild HDR" think they use to call it exposure blending. I use this method sometimes when there is a big difference in contrast and the camera struggles with the exposure.
                          An Image in Time is a Stepping Stone to Eternity

Comment

Working...
                          X