Bloomsbury Black Mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bloomsbury Black Mill

Today I stopped at Bloomsbury, NJ on my way home from the bank. I stopped here because of the Bloomsbury Black Mill. Built as a grist mill in 1760 and rebuilt in the 1800s, the building was converted to a graphite mill (When it got it's name) in the late 1800s and ceased operations in 1968

Here is one of the images of the mill:

1/500 sec @ f/3.5, ISO 100

EOS-M w/EF-M 22mm STM

For more images of the mill you can see them on my blog

Comments Welcomed

Tom

Re: Bloomsbury Black Mill

That's a huge building to be made out of wood, does it have some sort of protected status?
    Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
    http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
    https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Thanks Andy for stopping by and leaving a remark. The township has been trying to find a developer to fix the mill but their past trys have ended in failure. The building currently sits their with an uncertain future, which is a shame.

Tom

Comment

Really like the pov. I wonder how many have just walked by and not thought of looking at it the same way you have.
        Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
        Di's Flickr

Comment

Thanks Di

Comment

Splendid

Comment

I like that view of the old building Tom, if it is not for the blog I would be inclined to get rid of the tree branches on the left

Comment

Thanks MX5 and Ian for the comments. I'll do that when I get home Ian and post it later.

Tom

Comment

I like that Tom.
                  Rather than just losing the tree I'd try losing the entire top of the building! Cropping from under the eaves so you have the 2 boarded up windows(?) at the very top and just planking and openings all the way down.
                  Just a thought but when you take more extreme shots like this have you ever tried laying on the floor to get even more in from the bottom? You can get some strange looks from people watching you do it but the results can be quite good.
                  TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

Thanks Wayne for stopping by and leaving a suggestion

Tom

Comment

Tom, I actually like it as it is, to me it is a natural shot and depicts a natural situation. If you are looking for a piece of art then that is a different argument. I am pretty new to this side of photography and have been amazed to see how much off camera correction is advised and done. I have been learning about composition and various other aspects for getting a better image, but I actually want to work with my cameras not the computer.
                      I was at my camera club last night (only my second time at a camera club) and the judge in his summing up on an image advised author that if they had taken a couple of paces to the right it would have done this that and the other and made a better shot. He was then told that one pace let alone two would have sent the author down a shear 200 foot drop. This posed a question for me. If I enter a photo competition what does the judge judge! what is in front of him, or what he wants to see in the image, or what he perceives should be there. My apologises if this is in the wrong place.

Ian
                      Ian

Comment

Hi Ian and thanks for the post. An interesting question which I could not answer as I am neither a judge nor do I belong to a camera club. I am mostly a self taught photographer that has been doing this for over 38 years, but I do appreciate your questions. There are members here that are in camera clubs in the UK and would be better able to answer this question for you. I might suggest that you ask this question under the General tab where I am sure you will get some answers.

Tom

Comment

Nice shot Tom, really like the angle you have chosen to create the image, it is a shame the future of the building is uncertain. that much wood must be time consuming & expensive to keep maintained.

Comment

Hi Tom

Stopped at your blog, b&w always dislays a certain mood regarding direlect buildings etc, I was looking at the fist pic on the blog of the mill has an whole, do you happen to have it in colour just out of cusriosity!!

Kind regards Alun
                            Alun

Comment

Thanks raymon & Alun for stopping by. Yes Alun I have the color version & I well post it later today or tomorrow as We are heading out of town,

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X