Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuerteventura, Canary Islands

Hi all

I've just returned from holiday, and whilst photography wasn't the main reason for going, I did obviously take the 7D, and 15-85!

Here's a small selection of the landscape found there... being of volcanic origin, it's quite lunar! I was also trying out a circular polarising filter too, to try and reduce glare, and bring out the colours more. Very harsh light in the Canaries!

1/200, f8, 19mm, iso200 (taken through coach window, on the move!). This is not a pano, I just thought this crop worked well!

Volcanic origins by mikep_eos, on Flickr

1/200, f11, 44mm, iso320 (from the moving coach)

Lunar landscape by mikep_eos, on Flickr

1/320, f6.3, 24mm, iso400 (from the moving coach)

On the road by mikep_eos, on Flickr

1/160, f11, 27mm, iso320. There are a few places that are oasis-like, and this was one!

Green Valley by mikep_eos, on Flickr

Stationary! 1/160, f8, 15mm, iso200. My favourite shot compositionally, but I'd like to hear other's views!

Typical landscape by mikep_eos, on Flickr

and something a bit different, taken early afternoon, just outside our apartment.
    1/2500, f6.3, 15mm, iso100

Something different by mikep_eos, on Flickr

Interesting place, interesting views. Wish I'd had more time to explore!

Hope you like 'em. C&C welcome.

Mike
    Last edited by mikep; 03-08-2013, 17:13.
    flickr
    5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Re: Fuerteventura, Canary Islands

A really beautiful set Mike. Hard time picking a favorite as they all are good.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
      A really beautiful set Mike. Hard time picking a favorite as they all are good.

Tom
      I concur!
      Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
      http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
      https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Thanks Tom and Andy for commenting. Appreciated.

Mike
        flickr
        5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

I agree with others, a very nice set, I like the last one best, very unusual view.

Regards Paul

Comment

I like the first 3. No 2 the most. No 3 I'd crop out the dirt road at the bottom and pp the reflections in the sky.
            TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

Good set, no 5 wins it for me.

Doug.
              Cameras... 7D, 350D
              Lens...Canon 17-40 f4, Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Tamron 28-300 f3.5, Canon 18-55 f3.5

Flash...600EX-RT

Montana 5 flickr
              Montana 5 Car-tography

Comment

Beautiful place. Any hint of colour really stands out.

Did you by chance get to Betancuria. Really liked there myself. Very picturesque.
                Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                Di's Flickr

Comment

Thanks Paul, Wayne, Doug and Di for your comments.

@Di - yes, we did get to Betancuria, but only for a half hour stop! Those shots are on this thread. Lovely place, very colourful!

Mike
                  flickr

Comment

Excellent set Mike. Like them all. Beautiful and haunting scenery. I also note that you used your 15mm-85mm lens which is a real gem. I had one and sold it when I bought the 24-105mm.

Nat
                    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                      Excellent set Mike. Like them all. Beautiful and haunting scenery. I also note that you used your 15mm-85mm lens which is a real gem. I had one and sold it when I bought the 24-105mm.
                      Thanks Nat.

The scenery is certainly unique, and if I'd had more time, I'd have been out there more! Love the 15-85 and can recommend it. I think it's the crop equivalent of the 24-105, albeit without the 'L' designation, as it's an EF-S lens... and there isn't a single 'L' EF-S! Weird, but there you go!

Mike
                      flickr

Comment

First 4 are my favourites, a minimalist, almost lunar feel to them that is very appealling , although I would clone the mirror reflection in the third.

Fifth I feel is not as strong, little sky detail and the cacti on the let are on the verge of dominating the scene.
                        Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
                        Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Thanks Les, appreciate your input.

3rd mirror reflection - I'm no expert with PSE, but I will have a go at some point.
                          5th shot 'was' my favourite, but I'm starting to agree with you in that it's too busy... maybe a different crop would help. I wanted to keep the building on the left in shot as I really like it, but the cacti in front does get in the way! Might have to re-visit that one!

Many thanks for the critique... always interesting to see what people see/like!

Mike
                          flickr

Comment

Working...
                          X