Westbury Court Garden, Westbury-on-Severn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Westbury Court Garden, Westbury-on-Severn

Today, the wife and I took our dog out to Westbury-on-Severn and visited the Westbury Court Gardens.

These are 17th Century Dutch style water gardens that were originally laid out between 1696 and 1715.

In 1967, the National Trust took over and rescued the extremely neglected gardens some elements almost beyond repair.

The tall pavilion (1st picture) needed to be rebuilt and the canals were overgrown and silted up. With hard work and dedication and thanks to archived information, the National Trust have restored the gardens to how they would have probably appeared in 1720.

Unfortunately, at this time of year and probably because of the extreme bad weather we have had, we visited today which is kind of in between spring flowers going over and summer flowers sprouting and growing, however if anyone is nearby, this would certainly be worthy of an hour of someones time to nose round when full summer bloom is out or even next years spring.

Some pictures:

A view down one of the canals towards the old pavillion:

Glancing through from the picnic area to the gardens:

My wife and the dog waiting for me to finish lying down in the garden to take the two shots after this one:

Led down experimenting with my photography - tried to get the tulips with the spire of the Westbury church in background:

another led down attempt:

Side approach to the old pavillion:

and finally (although still post processing some so may add some more later), an outbuilding across the pond:

Thanks for looking. Hope you enjoyed them and comments welcome and appreciated.
    Andy
    Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
    EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
    [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Re: Westbury Court Garden, Westbury-on-Severn

Very nice set Andy, really like the 4th shot - great perspective.

Bill.
    7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Lovely set Andy

From your other post:-
      Originally posted by Bhuna View Post
      Poor sod in the second pic reminds me of being out with my mates and always the last one to get a girlfriend cause I was the ugly one of the group lol. I
      Looks like you got the first prize in the end.
      Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
      Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Cheers Bill.

Yes I did Stephen...in the end :)

Forgot to add - all these were taken on my 1100D, with my new 24-105 L :)
        Andy
        Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
        EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II

Comment

Nice set Andy, Images 1 & 4 are my favorites.

Tom

Comment

Thanks for looking Tom.
            Andy
            Canon 700D, Canon 1100D

Comment

A nice set 4 & 5 would be my picks
              1Dmk2, Canon 70-200 f4 L Non-IS & a borrowed canon 28mm

Flickr
              Facebook
              www.paulraybouldphotography.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Paul. Must admit it's taken me a while but I finally now go out with the view that no matter how silly I look (here I was led on a soaking wet long grassed part of the gardens with people walking almost over me) I'm going to experiment with trying to get a good photo. I like 4 myself although would have preferred now to have had a bit less of the spire covered by the tulip. Next time. :)
                Andy
                Canon 700D, Canon 1100D

Comment

Working...
                X