Last shots with the 1D3. Ben Lomond, Scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last shots with the 1D3. Ben Lomond, Scotland

last night was a good sunset. It was roastin gall day and there was that heat still in the air so I knew it would be a nice light later on. I checked the app (The photographers ephemeris) and it said that the sun would set hitting Ben Lomond at about 21:15 - 21:30 so i set off.

I nearly missed it because there hills in front of Ben Lomond so the sun would dip behind them well before that time. My good lady pointed this out and we had to go do that first then do food shopping later lol.

Here's the results.

Ben Lomond from the beach at Luss.

Ben Lomond, Loch by campsiephoto, on Flickr

Ben Lomond from the pier at Luss

Ben Lomond, Luss by campsiephoto, on Flickr

Both single exposures and processed in LR.

That's the 1D3 going in the box now and I will miss it, but I can't afford to keep two cameras :)

Hope you like them

Paul
    Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
    www.campsie.photography

Re: Last shots with the 1D3. Ben Lomond, Scotland

Second for me.
    Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
    Di's Flickr

Comment

They're both so nice I think a 1D3 should be your next camera

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
        They're both so nice I think a 1D3 should be your next camera
        I'm actually buckled at this running joke of me swapping cameras lol. The 5D3 feels like a toy camera next to the 1D3 there's no question about it. It's hard to think that all that IQ and power comes out of the 5D3 body. Doesn't feel like I just spent £1800 on it. Hard to justify to folk who see it lol.

usual response is "£1800 FOR THAT!!??!!" I look at them with a confused face and say yes. Then the "You are mad mate" comes next.
        Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
        www.campsie.photography

Comment

Well done for taking the last opportunity to use the camera Paul a couple of good images you have captured. I hope the new owner of your 1D3 is as happy as you were originally.

BTW if you haven't already read/downloaded this for the 5D3 you may find it useful LINK
          Peter

Feel free to browse my
          Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

I really like how you used the shoreline to lead the viewer into the photo of the 1st image. Very well done Paul.

Tom

Comment

Couple of lovely pics again Paul. you seemed to have mastered the 1d3.

Must admit it does seem quite ironic how you have changed camera now to move away from wildlife pics to landscape, yet the last two pics you take with the camera you are "retiring" are landscapes...and good pictures at that :)

On the "£1800 for that" comments you get, I must admit when I was showing someone my new 700D, they were like "£500 for that...and how much for that lens....why???". :)
              Andy
              Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
              EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
              [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Originally posted by ST-EOS View Post
                Well done for taking the last opportunity to use the camera Paul a couple of good images you have captured. I hope the new owner of your 1D3 is as happy as you were originally.

BTW if you haven't already read/downloaded this for the 5D3 you may find it useful LINK
                If they are anything like Jeff then they will take to it like a duck to water :) Thanks for the link I was wondering if there was one of these for the 5D3. I have the one for the 1D3 and it was quite informative. Thanks.

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
                I really like how you used the shoreline to lead the viewer into the photo of the 1st image. Very well done Paul.

Tom
                That's exactly the look I was after. Cheers Tom. I try to make my landscapes three dimensional. The bottom third creeping into the middle and the other thirds creeping into each other. Not too intrusive but enough to keep the eyes going.

Originally posted by Bhuna View Post
                Couple of lovely pics again Paul. you seemed to have mastered the 1d3.

Must admit it does seem quite ironic how you have changed camera now to move away from wildlife pics to landscape, yet the last two pics you take with the camera you are "retiring" are landscapes...and good pictures at that :)

On the "£1800 for that" comments you get, I must admit when I was showing someone my new 700D, they were like "£500 for that...and how much for that lens....why???". :)
                Yeah it is weird how I ended up with those shots. A female Sparrowhawk sat in a tree about 20ft from me at eye level the other day and I couldn't even bring myself to get the camera out of the bag. I had to move on to something else or I was going to go crazy.

I bet the same people dont moan about the price when they see the pics :)
                Fuji X-T1 | 1D IV
                www.campsie.photography

Comment

Nice pair of images, but the first one works best for me, the line of the beach area leading around and into the image is great.
                  Andy

Comment

Two very nice images there Paul and a great lament to the 1D3, the second shot is an absolute cracker.

Bill.
                    7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Two great shots Paul .. I'm sure you are going on to even better stuff with that new body ..
                      [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Love the first image great detail
                        (not bad for 10mp sensor it pushes the 5DmkIII all the way with its good colour detail and clarity lol)

Paul
                        EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                        Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Both really nice images Paul.

I always wonder about the cost of equipment and how it compares to price of the cameras I was buying some years ago. It feels like the equipment was cheaper but we spent a small fortune on processing.
                          Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Working...
                          X