4th of July Fireworks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4th of July Fireworks

This evening we went down to the Steel Stacks to listen to some music, then watch the fireworks display.

Camera SL1 (100D) w/EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L @ 19mm
    Focus set to Manual
    Aperture Set to f/20
    Shutter set to Bulb
    Mirror set to Lock
    ISO 200

Exposures ranged from 11 to 19 seconds

Image 1:

Image 2:

Image 3:

Image 4:

Image 5:

Image 6:

Comments welcomed
    Tom

Re: 4th of July Fireworks

that building (Steel Stacks?) offers a completely different take on the usual fireworks photos - brilliant collection !!

are those the normal lights?
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Excellent collection of images
      James
      James Boardman Woodend
      www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Cracking set Tom

Comment

Cracking set Tom. 5 and 6 are my favourites.
          Andy
          Canon 700D, Canon 1100D
          EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 II
          [Wishlist: EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro]

Comment

Very nice Tom, the fireworks illuminate the Steel Stacks nicely and with a little light left in the sky it just makes it

Comment

Tom, lovely, the old steelworks makes a wonderful counterpoint to the fireworks. My favourite is no 5. Had a look at Steel Stacks online; it looks like a great facility.
              Canon EOS 7D
              EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
              Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
              flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Tom - Lovely set of fireworks - your exif data seems to be the opposite from what I read to capture fireworks - I suppose the combination off shutter speed and aperture when worked out will give the same result ? The sky is normally black in Scotland when fireworks are being displayed

Ian - Pingdriver1952

Comment

Thumbs up Tom ....
                  [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

Lovely set with great colours. No 4 for me - I like the way the reds in the firework bursts mirror the red light wash on the towers.

Peter.

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                      that building (Steel Stacks?) offers a completely different take on the usual fireworks photos - brilliant collection !!

are those the normal lights?
                      Thanks for stopping by Tigger. Yes they have the stacks lit up with red, blue & green at night.

Originally posted by AlexR! View Post
                      Tom, lovely, the old steelworks makes a wonderful counterpoint to the fireworks. My favourite is no 5. Had a look at Steel Stacks online; it looks like a great facility.
                      Thanks Alex. Yes it is truly wonderful what they have done and continue to do with the old brown field left by the dismiss of Bethlehem Steel. Instead of rusting away, it is now a historical as well as a cultural place.

Originally posted by Pingdriver1952 View Post
                      Tom - Lovely set of fireworks - your exif data seems to be the opposite from what I read to capture fireworks - I suppose the combination off shutter speed and aperture when worked out will give the same result ? The sky is normally black in Scotland when fireworks are being displayed

Ian - Pingdriver1952
                      Thanks Ian. I choose the slow shutter so that you can get those bust of colors that rain down, plus the multiple layering of the fireworks. To do that, I controlled the light, by reducing the size of the aperture and then to keep noise at bay, I picked a low ISO.

Thanks Jim, Dave, Andy, Ian, Wayne & Peter for stopping by. Glad you all enjoyed them.

Comment

Nice set Tom 5 and 6 for me
                        Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

Thanks 2Beers

Comment

Great set Tom, good composition and exposure.

Bill.
                            7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Very nice set Tom 👍The addition of the disused steel in the frame creates an extra level of interest, well done.
                              Peter

Feel free to browse my
                              Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Working...
                              X