Better in Black and White?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better in Black and White?

This shot were taken earlier in the summer. I did the conversion at the time but only printed the B&W version yesterday. It's very different and personally I think it’s one of those images that works better in monochrome. Do you agree?

- Tony

Lavender Fields
    by tonyhawkins600, on Flickr

Lavender Fields bw
    by tonyhawkins600, on Flickr
    - Tony

6D Mk II, 17-40 F4/L 4 USM, 24-105 F4/L 4 IS USM

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Re: Better in Black and White?

I prefer the colour on this one - it seems a shame to lose the vibrant colours to mono

stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
      I prefer the colour on this one - it seems a shame to lose the vibrant colours to mono

stan
      I know what you mean Stan but I think the clouds come alive with mono. Thanks for the feedback.

- Tony
      - Tony

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

but I think the clouds come alive with mono
        if you cropped off 75% of the lavender then i would agree

stan
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

These are two different images, convey two different stories. The 1st image is a story about beauty and wonder in the world where we live. How color is well balanced and vibrant in a way that lefts the spirit any gives joy to the heart. The 2nd image is the starkness and cold reality in the world in where we live. The dark menacing clouds that over shadow our lives an world and the coldness the one feels under those darkening skies.

So very well done in telling two contrasting stories in on image. To give the BW more punch, I would tone the yellows down slightly to give them more detail, and as Stan mentioned, loose some of the lavender, but nit 75% of them IMO.

Tom

Comment

I like the B&W but prefer the colour. I agree with Stan about cropping the heather in the B&W. But, unless you've processed the colour a lot already I think it could pop more and also lose the top of the sky.
            TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

I prefer the colour version but have to agree the clouds do look better in mono ,as Stan says , crop some of the lavender possibly
              to the first or second row so it puts a bit more emphasis on the sky.

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
                These are two different images, convey two different stories. The 1st image is a story about beauty and wonder in the world where we live. How color is well balanced and vibrant in a way that lefts the spirit any gives joy to the heart. The 2nd image is the starkness and cold reality in the world in where we live. The dark menacing clouds that over shadow our lives an world and the coldness the one feels under those darkening skies.

So very well done in telling two contrasting stories in on image. To give the BW more punch, I would tone the yellows down slightly to give them more detail, and as Stan mentioned, loose some of the lavender, but nit 75% of them IMO.

Tom
                I think Tom made an excellent point in that first paragraph of his. I prefer the b/w image but again it's down to personal taste. For me, the colour one is a pretty chocolate box image,the second is a moody art type image. Anyway, well done.
                James
                James Boardman Woodend
                www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Many thanks for all your comments. I think Tom is probably right in that the conversion has produced two (very) different images. I'll see what the B&W looks like cropped a little. Thanks again.

- Tony
                  - Tony

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

Lovely shot Tony, personally I prefer the colour version though also like the dramatic sky detail in the mono version.

Bill.
                    7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Both have merits and doing a quick on screen crop of the B&W its far stronger as Stan has suggested.

Having said that I think you could crop about 50% of sky in the colour version.
                      Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Els View Post
                        I like the B&W but prefer the colour. I agree with Stan about cropping the heather in the B&W. But, unless you've processed the colour a lot already I think it could pop more and also lose the top of the sky.
                        Of course meant lavander
                        Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Tony, fascinating to see two very different images from the same source. My preference is for the colour (particularly if you shaved about a 1/3 of the sky off) as I find the mono just too contrasty (is that even a word?).
                          Canon EOS 7D
                          EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                          Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                          flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR! View Post
                            Tony, fascinating to see two very different images from the same source. My preference is for the colour (particularly if you shaved about a 1/3 of the sky off) as I find the mono just too contrasty (is that even a word?).
                            Thanks Alex. I know what you mean by "contrasty". I printed it on a system that puts the image on a piece of glossy aluminium. The B&W image appears to really suit that process - so much so the good lady wants it on the wall. Like many pictures we take there's a lot of conjecture involved.

Thanks again

- Tony.
                            - Tony

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

Done a bit of cropping and changed to landscape to keep the proportions.

Lavender Fields Stormy Skies bw LANDSCAPE by tonyhawkins600, on Flickr

- Tony
                              - Tony

www.premiumpics.co.uk

Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X