Sunset Swans!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunset Swans!!

I took this series of images a few months back as the sun was setting. My intention was to capture the sunset alone, but along came the swans in the nature reserve.

What are peoples thoughts on the below? They are in the order taken - the 3rd swan photo-bombed on the 2nd shot..I've purposely made them a little darker on the exposure side as I wanted to keep the low lighting of the sunset..

.Follow-Me-1.jpg

Follow-Me-2.jpg
    Andy

EOS 6D | 16-35 F/4 | 24-105mm f4L | 50mm F1.8 | Canon 70-200 F2.8 MKII
    Flickr Page
    Facebook Page

Re: Sunset Swans!!

nice sunset shot and the swans do make the shot something other than just another sunset! - I do prefer the first one of the two with the swans being slightly more in shot ... excellent
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Two very nice shots.

I prefer the second because in the first I find myself just looking at the swans or the sunset and switching from one to the other, somehow the third swan in the picture makes my eye move around the picture more taking in the whole scene.

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
        nice sunset shot and the swans do make the shot something other than just another sunset! - I do prefer the first one of the two with the swans being slightly more in shot ... excellent
        Thanks Ian...Looking back, I think they would of been a little mundane without the swans in the view...

Originally posted by Skyelines View Post
        Two very nice shots.

I prefer the second because in the first I find myself just looking at the swans or the sunset and switching from one to the other, somehow the third swan in the picture makes my eye move around the picture more taking in the whole scene.
        Yeah, I have to agree, the 3rd swan gives your eyes something to start at, before moving on too the pair and then in to the background...

Thanks for the comments folks :)
        Andy

Flickr Page
        Facebook Page

Comment

I agree the swans add to the image. Just wondering what the second one would look like with a square crop losing the bit to the left past the swans wake. Focus is then on the swans heading off into the sunset! Just a thought....
          Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by Birdy View Post
            I agree the swans add to the image. Just wondering what the second one would look like with a square crop losing the bit to the left past the swans wake. Focus is then on the swans heading off into the sunset! Just a thought....

Thanks for the idea and comments Andrew...Here you go...quick crop..

Follow-Me-2-crop.jpg
            Andy

Flickr Page
            Facebook Page

Comment

Thats what I was thinking,
              It will be interesting to read other members views!
              Andrew

Comment

AM sure we'll find out soon enough, Andrew..ha ha ha
                Andy

Flickr Page
                Facebook Page

Comment

The crop works well mate as it gives the swans a bit more prominence. They all look very peaceful images

Comment

Thanks Dave...Still not sure about the crop myself...ha ha ha...I can see where peoples thoughts are coming from on it though..Yeah, a bit of an aura of peace suits them well...
                    Andy

Flickr Page
                    Facebook Page

Comment

Personally I prefer the original second. The swans are less prominent and the sky is so nice it should all be kept in. The first is good but a little too dark for my liking.
                      Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Nice set, I like them both bit the first just had the edge for me.I prefer the uncropped version as it retains the interest in the sky.
                        Andy
                        Canon EOS 5D MarkIV, 11-24mm f4, 24-70mm f2.8 II, 24-105mm f4, 70-200mm f2.8 IS II USM, 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 IS II USM, 100mm Macro, 50mm f1.4, Speedlite 600EX-RT, Manfrotto tripod
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyberdavis/

Comment

Nice and tranquil images. My fave is the first, with the swans larger in the frame. I thought I would like the square crop, but the left hand side looks oddly cut off for me. And I don't think that it is just because I've seen the original, I think it is because it is getting lighter and lighter off to that side and there is no ending. Perhaps a gentle vignette would frame the shot. Or more likely, no-one will know what I'm on about.
                          Canon EOS 7D
                          EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                          Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                          flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Originally posted by Parsen66 View Post
                            Personally I prefer the original second. The swans are less prominent and the sky is so nice it should all be kept in. The first is good but a little too dark for my liking.
                            Thanks Alan - yes, the first is certainly the darker of the two ( although it was kinda what I wanted to achieve ( probably a bit too much under exposure on that one )). Thank you for your feedback..

Originally posted by Cyberman View Post
                            Nice set, I like them both bit the first just had the edge for me.I prefer the uncropped version as it retains the interest in the sky.
                            Andy - Thanks...Yeah, I do think the uncropped is still for me..But, I think that might be because I don't like a square format photo..In saying that though, I suppose there is a bit of scope to crop some from the top as I think there is some room to manoeuvre..??

Originally posted by AlexR! View Post
                            Nice and tranquil images. My fave is the first, with the swans larger in the frame. I thought I would like the square crop, but the left hand side looks oddly cut off for me. And I don't think that it is just because I've seen the original, I think it is because it is getting lighter and lighter off to that side and there is no ending. Perhaps a gentle vignette would frame the shot. Or more likely, no-one will know what I'm on about.
                            Alex - Appreciate your comments...Never really considered a vignette, might be another option on the shot...hmmm...might try that, see how it comes out..
                            Andy

Flickr Page
                            Facebook Page

Comment

I prefer the original second shot, the composition suits the format much better plus it's a shame to lose that glorious sky.

Bill.
                              7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Working...
                              X