Moon and Blast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moon and Blast

Was out on a frosty night trying to capture the outline of Mumbles Pier in South Wales against the reflection of a full moon on the sea, but found the waves too choppy for good reflections and just couldn't get the angles right, so went round the headland to Bracelet Bay.
    Tried to do the same for the Mumbles Heads with the lighthouse on the outer head when a blast furnace in the steel works at Port Talbot on the other side of Swansea Bay was opened - it gave a short-lived orangey-red glow just in the right position to silhouette the light house -

7D + 25-105L at ISO 6400 so probably a bit noisy but I just liked the image.

Cheers, Chris.
    Just chuggin' along.

Re: Moon and Blast

You have handled the exposure well Chris, quite like the composition too.

Bill.
    7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

I assume that's Jupiter to the left?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill53 View Post

Bill.
        Ditto here

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Bill53 View Post

Bill.
          yep, well done
          :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Thanks for the nice comments.
            MX -yes, there was a planet - over on the left of this shot. Don't have the knowledge to identify it but Jupiter sounds good. it was early evening and I was pointing east if that helps name it.
            Cheers, Chris.
            Just chuggin' along.

Comment

A.....nice.... image with the reflection of the moon and the silhouette of the coast !

Last edited by Nancy; 10-02-2015, 20:52.
              Anna

Comment

Suggestive? On this forum?
                Actually, the name "Mumbles" which describes the headlands comes from the French "mamelles" = English "mammary" which rather describes their shape. Strangely, there are three of them...
                Cheers, Chris.
                Just chuggin' along.

Comment

Nice one Chris

Comment

A good effort Chris, and the Moonlight on the water adds to it nicely.

BTW, that would be Jupiter, if East is to the left of the image.

Dave
                    Dave

Comment

Nice one Chris. I know the spot well. Very difficult exposure but I think it works quite well. The pier also looks good in the full moon sometimes but I'm always coming or going( to the pub) and do not have the time to do a setup.

Comment

Hi, Treff - which pub??
                        Of the dozen that were in the "Mumbles Mile" so few of them are left.
                        The interesting one now seems to be the Pilot with its own microbrewery. Prince Albert of Monaco was in there following the 6 Nations rugby last week..... The Antelope seems to be "stuck" in its rebuild/refurbishment.
                        We tend to use coffee "happy hour" in the pier café more these days.... Getting sad as we age.....
                        Cheers, Chris.
                        Just chuggin' along.

Comment

Working...
                        X