Supertides 21.2.2015 - Bristol Channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supertides 21.2.2015 - Bristol Channel

First photos that I have posted so please be gentle!

Yesterday we experienced supertides in the Bristol Channel where the high water levels were approximately 15 metres higher than the low water levels and I decided to try to get some record shots at high and low tide. The volume of water that goes through the channel between high and low water is phenomenal. I'm not sure that these photos do it justice as it is difficult to get a sense of scale.

Marina - high
    by katrinamarch6, on Flickr

Marina - low

Pier - high

Pier - low

Pier and docks - high

Pier and docks - low

I'm sure that I should have done all sorts of post processing to brighten up various parts of the images but for me these were intended more as a record than as anything technically great - if that makes sense.

Re: Supertides 21.2.2015 - Bristol Channel

I'm sure that I should have done all sorts of post processing to brighten up various parts of the images but for me these were intended more as a record than as anything technically great - if that makes sense.
    so long as your happy with them Katrina thats all that matters ... Yes theres a few tweaks you could have done but they offer interesting photos on something that I presume doesn't happen often
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

As tigger says as long as your happy that's the main thing and they do justice to what you are showing.Quite like that pier shot and how high the tide came over it.

Comment

Well done for including the before and after shots as they give a real sense of the height of the tides

Stan
        Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
        flickr

Comment

Interesting set, had to come back for a second look.

Bill.
          7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Nice bit of storytelling with the tide.

Tom

Comment

As a record and a narrative it's a good set, you've told the story.Technically there might be things on the images that can changed our improved, but you've told a story and that's something not all photographers can do.
              Keep at it, find your own style and take any criticism with a pinch of salt.
              Andy

Comment

Thank you all for taking the time to comment and for your kind words - my first posting of photos wasn't so scary after all!

Ian - we have a very large tidal range down near Avonmouth and the spring tides give us a huge difference between high and low water. As these were described as the biggest supertides in an 18 year cycle I thought it would be worth getting some shots especially as the weather was kind. Have to say though that had it been windier and stormier the water would have been much more dramatic and higher.

Comment

Working...
                X