Forest of Dean X2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forest of Dean X2

Thought I should post a photo of the area where I live - The Forest of Dean which is approx 110 square kilometers (42.5 sq mi).

I have a problem - there are two shots which I could not decide between so i thought I would share both and let you guys choose then that would help me in the future.

I don't know about anyone else but its sometimes difficult to criticize your own work when your cross eyed!

IMG_0289 by Neil Richardson, on Flickr

IMG_0302 by Neil Richardson, on Flickr

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.
    Neil

Re: Forest of Dean X2

For me i like elements of both ,but the second just takes it for me those splashes of light.forests can be difficult to make a good image from and I wonder if a better /simpler composition could be made just past the fallen tree. With just the uniformity of the straight trunks in the distance .
    Only my thoughts mate

Comment

Thanks Dave, understand what you mean with being simpler. I suppose that with the hundreds, thousands of straight trees around, I went for that a bit of interest. With the light coming through I think your right and ill try this next time. Your thoughts are more than welcome.
      Neil

Comment

Oh, I love the second one - like Dave says, the splashes of light really make it stand out.
        Canon EOS 6D Mk II, 700D, Canon 24-105mm L, 100-400mm, 100mm f2.8 L Macro.

Comment

Originally posted by Jock View Post
          Oh, I love the second one - like Dave says, the splashes of light really make it stand out.
          Yes my instant reaction too as I scrolled down them. It really adds some wow factor
          Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Yep another vote for nº 2.

Looks better on flickr too
            Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

yep, I'm with the others nice 2nd shot
              :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

and another for#2,
                Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Spent many a happy hour years ago wandering through the Forest of Dean, nice images Neil
                  Chris

60D, EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM,
                  EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 EX DC

Comment

Looks like we have a vote for No.2
                    I'll try and expand on this in the future with different locations around the dean.

Thanks all for looking, I appreciate your comments.
                    Neil

Comment

Both are nice but my vote is for #2 for the reasons given above- the splashes of light coming through.
                      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I still haven't got the photography thing sussed yet but I have spent a lot of my life in forests as a forester.

They can be quite uninteresting visually a lot of the time especially when one is looking at the wood rather than the trees

But get the light playing on the trunks and leaves, or maybe just one small interesting feature and the whole scene is transformed. There's been quite a few times I have stopped work and just looked at something that caught my eye when the sun shone.

Have fun looking, you'll see things that catch your eye.

Comment

Thanks Nat
                          Neil

Comment

Skylines, do we ever get photography sussed (good hobby as it takes years) - I agree with your thoughts. A forest through the seasons is a wonderfull place there is so much change. Thanks for looking.
                            Neil

Comment

Apologies for coming back a second time but I forgot to mention that these pictures remind of the rainforests on Fraser Island in Australia. Most impressive. The only difference is that on Fraser island one can find the dangerous Black Widow spiders nestling inside crevices and holes in the trees.
                              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
                              X