FILTER ADVICE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FILTER ADVICE

Starting to dabble into landscapes purchased a Canon 5d mk1 coupled with Canon 17-40L.
    Have been pondering over reviews re FULL ND FILTERS especially a company called SRB GRITUM PHOTOGRAPHICS.
    They have following ND 0.3 1STOP 06 2 STOP 09 3 STOP AND 1.2 4 STOP,screw on was wondering here which filters out of these would be best to go for.
    While imagine filters can be a minefield wondered if anyone had used these and in particular from this company.
    thanks.
    GEORGE.
    Last edited by mackem george; 02-07-2015, 22:27.
    CANON 2000D CANON 70D CANON 100-400MML MK1 CANON70-200MML F4 USM CANON 17-85 IS USM CANON SPEEDLITE 550EX CANON SPEEDLITE 270EX

Re: FILTER ADVICE

Personally not a fan of screw on, prefer holder and square filters. Bit easier to compose and slide in filter.

Not sure about the filter choice you've listed, it might be worth thinking about a big stopper (10stop) type filter.
    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Hi George,
      I too would like to know anybody's experience with these filters - they are very competitively priced.
      James
      James Boardman Woodend
      www.jameswoodend.com

Comment

Thanks guys for responce thought about ten stopper but as just starting wanted test the water first.Did not want to gather a lot of filters together until established correct need.
        Thought using my tripod screw on would be ok,without the need for holder/adaptors.
        GEORGE.
        CANON 2000D CANON 70D CANON 100-400MML MK1 CANON70-200MML F4 USM CANON 17-85 IS USM CANON SPEEDLITE 550EX CANON SPEEDLITE 270EX

Comment

The only screw on filters I use are the variable ND filter & a polarizing filter. All the gradual filters I use the square holders as they are better for landscape work

Tom

Comment

my preference is ND grads as I think these are better for landscape work as more often than not its about pulling the sky down to balance the exposure - and like Tom I prefer square as you do have a lot more control over where the filter starts to kick in

I've just purchased a set of Lees from SRB GRITUM PHOTOGRAPHICS and would say I'm OK with the service, but I'm still waiting on the set over a week after purchasing...I've had a LOT better service from other stores, but email support is OK and I should be getting my order today "apparently"
            :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Thanks guys for feedback certainly overall the square holders seem to win,my thoughts were as having a screw on polarizer which seems to work ok and looking at various photos with silky ghost type river scenes people using the full on ND would go down that road.
              As mentioned earlier did not want to gather lots of filters,think will be only using the 17-40L as mostly set up for birdy photos.
              GEORGE.
              Ian living in your part of the world imagine there is some fantastic small villages,remember one of you posts with the street being so narrow you could shake hands from the upstairs window.

Comment

if your just looking at slowing the shutter down rather than controlling the highlights ( ie sky) then yes just straight ND's will do the job... I've got a ND10 screw in filter and I find it a PIA screwing it on after I've composed the shot so moved to Cokin which is much better, but I've just upgraded to Lee to get the big & little stopper

I really would suggest you try the square filters its a lot easier ....BTW I'll be selling my Coking set soon if your interested but the filters are grad NDs not NDs

Yes theres loads of little villages here I just need to get out and visit them as work has been crazy this year
                :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

As others have said grads are great for balancing sky/land. Not unusual to use say 3 stop grad and 10 stop ND for some shots to get slow shutter speed and balance sky.
                  Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS

Comment

A lot to learn re filter options especially stacking various filters perhaps not ready for that yet.
                    Still looking at full ND set up.
                    GEORGE.

Comment

Actually George not too difficult this was one I took recently and my first trip using grad and 10 stop.
                      Dunstanburgh Castle 1 by tblake2007, on Flickr

Not too difficult really.

Use live view to compose and then determine exposure minus any filters, found partial metering quite reliable for this.
                      Using live view slide in grad to horizon to reduce exposure to sky. Slide in ND and using either an app on your phone or a table adjust shutter speed to suit ND.

Worked well for me, opening or closing aperture means you can shorten/lengthen time shutter is open which will change how moving elements will look i.e. water milkyness or use a long exposure to hide people in location shots.

You can gain a lot by visiting location prior to your early morning/evening shoot so that you can take some shots and choose shooting location. Check sunrise/sunset times and tide times if necessary.

Sturdy tripod needed and each shot will require some time to set up and expose so planning and patience will help.

Comment

Hi thank you for your kind responce and for a brilliant photo and information guide on landscapes shot.As you may have guessed i'm seemingly somewhat focused on these FULL ND FILTERS,perhaps need to look at the larger formatt at what theses other filters can do.
                        Want to thank you again for taking the trouble to post the photo and advice.
                        Had a look on your flicker set up there are some great photos there
                        GEORGE.

Comment

No problem George. Just looking at your lenses I assume you'll be using the 17-40 for landscapes. This will probably mean that if you think about square filters you'll need to go to 100mm ones so that you don't have vignetting issues. Certainly have a look at graduated filters they are quite useful and be aware there are both hard and soft grads.

Unfortunately 100mm filters means a bit of expense, even the Cokin ones aren't that cheap.

Comment

You have hit the nail on the head re filter size,certainly would need to get that right at the time of purchase.Had looked at the 85mm but have noticed the 17-40L naturally is very wide angle.
                            There are two companies that seem to interest me PREMIER INK/PHOTOGRAPHIC also SRB PHOTOGRAPHIC have been looking at there offerings,at the same time trying to compare with the various filter suppliers.
                            GEORGE.

Comment

Lot to consider, remember that you'll need adapter ring that the filter holder slides on to. Think it will be highly likely that 85mm will give you vignetting, especially at wider focal lengths.

Also worth thinking about a case to store filters and holder.

Comment

Working...
                              X