Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boat on the left vs boat on the right ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat on the left vs boat on the right ..

Which one, do you prefer? And why?

[1]
    IMG_1148 by Friso Faber, on Flickr

[2]
    IMG_1147 by Friso Faber, on Flickr
    With kind regards,
    Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128548396@N08/

Re: Boat on the left vs boat on the right ..

Not really an issue with position in the frame but direction the boat is travelling. Second works better for me as boat is travelling into frame.
    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
      Not really an issue with position in the frame but direction the boat is travelling. Second works better for me as boat is travelling into frame.
      agree - with most things you want it leading in rather than out
      :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
        agree - with most things you want it leading in rather than out
        Yes my thoughts too
        Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Agree with the comments so far Friso.
          Chris

60D, EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM,
          EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 EX DC

Comment

Oke. I get the the point.

Are there any comments on the photo?
            With kind regards,
            Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

Comment

Agree

Tom

Comment

Compositionally the one on the right is better....because the eye scans from left to right, apparently it scans bottom left to top right so as far as the four quadrants of an image are concerned the focal point to which you intend to lead the viewer is best in the top right quadrant.....according to Lee Frosts tutorial in B+W Photography last month....and in most cases that works. I think this image would be better as a conventional 3x2 crop as there is a bit too much dead space. Just my 20p worth. I agree that the perceived wisdom is for the object to be entering the frame rather than exiting. Perhaps the optimum here is to reverse the second image so the boat is entering from the right. I think we have a conflict of compositional principles here....it's very interesting....thanks for getting me thinking.
                Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

The one on the right has more room around the boat, for this reason I prefer the first shot. I think if the framing was the same on both then the second image would work better.
                  Neil

Comment

Convention has it that space is better in front of a moving subject and that it ideally should be moving into the frame rather than out. In this case regardless of convention I'd say the first one works better for me than the second. Although moving out of the frame there is space in front of it and more important there is a wake behind which adds to the sense of motion and also gives interest to what otherwise might be a rather dull patch of water.

The second, while it sticks to convention, feels much weaker - possibly because the empty water ahead of the boat actually makes it seem smaller in the frame then the first one or at least it does to me.
                    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Hmmm... this is going to be a very scientific thread ...

Thanks for looking and the comments .
                      With kind regards,
                      Friso

Comment

The first one

Comment

Originally posted by Donio View Post
                          The first one
                          The first picture composition is better

Comment

I agree with the others i.e the second picture is for me. The photo itself is quite sharp and nice. Nice sky as well.
                            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I like the first one, for me the image flows better (no pun intended)

Comment

Working...
                              X