Brighton Pavilion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brighton Pavilion

Brighton pavilion taken at this angle as, if it was straight from the back it would show a big block of flats behind it. I would like cc on this shot too please, as I think there might be some barrel distortion on it ?

Brighton Pavilion by David Ore, on Flickr

Re: Brighton Pavilion

Not sure about barrel distortion Dave but definitely evidence of converging verticals.

Bill.
    7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Originally posted by Bill53 View Post
      Not sure about barrel distortion Dave but definitely evidence of converging verticals.

Bill.
      Thanks Bill, every time I take a shot of it I have to delete the photos, thought it was barrel distortion. How can I stop it doing converging verticals ?

Comment

Agree with Bill, definitely some converging verticals - characteristic of a very wide angle lens shot slightly off the horizontal. The shrt on flickr does't show any exif but I'm guessing something quite wide?

Easy enough to fix in lightroom with the lens corrections if you have a mind to.
        EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

And the flickr updates and it's the 18-135 so not as wide as I thought...
          EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

It was taken with the 18-135mm f/8

Comment

I have PS Elements 11 and Paintshop pro x8

Comment

Originally posted by Dave61 View Post
                Thanks Bill, every time I take a shot of it I have to delete the photos, thought it was barrel distortion. How can I stop it doing converging verticals ?
                The only way to stop it is to ensure the camera is level when taking the shot. As Andy says though it is quite easy to correct, in elements there should be a facility to transform the image - you literally drag the corners to distort the image correcting the verticals.
                Hope this makes sense.

Bill.
                7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

Originally posted by Bill53 View Post
                  The only way to stop it is to ensure the camera is level when taking the shot. As Andy says though it is quite easy to correct, in elements there should be a facility to transform the image - you literally drag the corners to distort the image correcting the verticals.
                  Hope this makes sense.

Bill.
                  agree with Bill you need to make sure the camera is as level as possible, whilst you can do some fixing during PP I find its a good idea to get the things as level as possible right from the start

But also sorry the composition isn't really working for me with that big tree blocking the view - I understand the other side isn't good either, its just the tree is spoiling the view.. I've had this loads of times you see a stunning building but it doesn't matter where you go something spoils it
                  :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Thank you folks, I found a setting on PS last night so will have a go later. Thanks too Ian can see what you mean

Comment

Converging verticals happen with any lens if the camera is tilted up or down as the top or bottom of the building is then further away from the camera sensor - rather like looking down a road where the road appears to get narrower the further into the distance you look.

There are a couple of ways to sort it, either using "correct camera distortion" under the filter tab or, the way I prefer - either on a duplicate layer or double click on the background to turn it into an editable layer, hold ctrl and T to enter free transform mode and right click on the image and choose distort from the options shown. This will give you "handles" at the corners and midway points which you then use to pull the image into shape

zzzzz.jpg

Obviously as has been said the composition on this image isn't the best and in these circumstances, rather than trying to shoot the whole building look to pick out details such as just the domes themselves. We visited Brighton a couple of years ago and that's what we ended up doing.

As a general point, when shooting buildings, always leave plenty of spare canvas around the edges as correcting the verticals will bring the building closer to the edge of the frame

stan
                      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                      flickr

Comment

Thank you Stan, think it could be an idea, like you said pick out bits like the dome. Thank you again

Comment

Working...
                        X