Shillingford Bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shillingford Bridge

Don't think i got what i was trying to get ?.
    What i was to get was the reflection of the water on the underside of the bridge this was the best one out of about 20 photos.

IMG_0125 by Andrew Bird, on Flickr
    Canon 700D 18 - 55 lens + Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2 Lens

Re: Shillingford Bridge

It looks like you were shooting from much too close as the reflection seems to be there, just not in your frame
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

Thank you for your comment.
      I was trying to photograph the reflection of the water on the underside of the bridge not the reflection of the bridge in the water.

Comment

To me it's a stronger image with the top cropped down to just above the arch
        Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

I see what you mean about wanting to capture the light reflected FROM the water to the underside of the bridge and, with better lighting conditions, that could have worked. As it is it's a picture of a bridge that, because it was shot with the long end of a zoom, has neither the bridge in the landscape nor significant reflections (nor even any ducks to keep the birders here happy ). So, a nice try but it's not working for me.

That said this forum is all about self help and guidance towards improvement so don't be despondent but keep taking pictures and posting here - the next may be 'the one'

Cheers,
          John

Comment

Andrew, I get what you were trying to do. I think one problem is that such reflected light looks so nice to us because it is moving, but obviously you can't capture that here. The trouble with the composition you have is that people will think the intent is to make an image of the bridge, and they won't look under the arch, so the best you can do is to crop into just the arch and the rippled water underneath. That helps it, but I'm still not sure it is obvious enough, the reflections need to be brighter.
            But good on you for trying to capture the slightly unusual, that's definitely the way to get images that stand out from the crowd.
            Canon EOS 7D
            EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
            Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
            flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Hi all
              Thank you for your comments. I'm still new to this as I have only had the camera for 3 weeks and that was the fist time I have had to get out with it. I've still got to find some software to process the photos I have had a look at photo shop cs5 or cs6 but to pay £8 of £9 per month to use unless I'm going to use it a lot. The reason for taking up photography is I'm retireing in a bout 18 months so this I hope will be my hobby to get me out and about. Back to the matter in hand yes I have a lot to learn and all comments are welcome.
              Did any of you have a look at the boat house I put up in the newbe section.
              Thank you for all the comments.

Comment

Hi all
                Thank you for your comments. I'm still new to this as I have only had the camera for 3 weeks and that was the fist time I have had to get out with it. I've still got to find some software to process the photos I have had a look at photo shop cs5 or cs6 but to pay £8 of £9 per month to use unless I'm going to use it a lot. The reason for taking up photography is I'm retireing in a bout 18 months so this I hope will be my hobby to get me out and about. Back to the matter in hand yes I have a lot to learn and all comments are welcome.
                Did any of you have a look at the boat house I put up in the newbe section.
                Thank you for all the comments.

Comment

If you are not keen on a subscription then you might want to consider either PSE or LR (can still be purchased I believe) as perfectly good alternatives. I don't like subscription models but finally signed up a couple of months ago.

I think your boathouse image is extremely good, for a beginner I would class it as excellent in fact. The only minor comment I would make (constructively) is to check the verticals as it looks to have a very slight angle on my iPad but that may just be the screen I am using.

As others have said, trying to capture the light on the underarch is probably a very difficult challenge to set yourself so don't be too disappointed with your attempt.

Comment

If you bought your camera new, then you should have Digital Photo Professional (DPP) included on a CD with the camera. If not, you can go to the Canon website and download it, provided they accept your serial number, which they may not if it's a grey import. You can do anything you would need to with DPP. I've never had Lightroom or Photoshop "other brands are available" as they say. But all image processing software has a fairly steep learning curve to be used well, it's easy to make photos worse as well as enhancing them. And it's always a good idea to get the image as good as possible in the camera, you can make a good photo better, but you can never make a poor one really good.

To get yourself going with the camera, you could do a lot worse than get the ebooks by Nina Bailey :
                    Accelerate your learning and enhance your EOS photography with our unique and carefully curated collection of resources and accessories for your Canon camera, all handpicked by the EOS magazine team.

there are two for the 700d, one for beginners and a more advanced one. AT £6.95 each, they are very clear and well written and could save you a lot of time in the long run.

Personally, I think for a beginner it is much more important to get out and take a lot of photos, rather than getting hung up on the post-processing side. Assuming you have a modern TV with a reasonable screen size, the best initial way to view images is by connecting your camera to an HDMI socket on the TV. When you playback the images, they'll appear on the TV instead, though only jpegs, not RAW, hence I shoot jpeg plus Raw. If an image doesn't look good on the TV, then it won't look good anywhere else. You can do all the usual things like magnifying part of the image or viewing the histogram etc. It's a lot more comfortable than sitting at a computer and you should then only keep your best images, don't waste time with the others, delete them.
                    EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Thank you Enigma & Richard for the comments that's a great help I have a long way to go yet.
                      I will look int the PSE & LR. Richard yes I did get DPP I have loaded onto my computer to download the photos but not had a look at the rest of the software so guess what I'm doing to right.
                      Last edited by tycoon; 20-09-2016, 11:02.

Comment

Working...
                      X