Do you use a tripod for landscapes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you use a tripod for landscapes?

I'm conducting a vox pop for a piece I am writing for EOS magazine.

Do you use a tripod when photographing landscapes?

A simple yes or no would suffice, but I would also welcome comments about why you do, or do not, use a tripod.

If you sometime use a tripod and sometimes not, comments on that would be good, too.

Thanks for your help.
    Robert
    robert@eos-magazine.com

Re: Do you use a tripod for landscapes?

Whenever possible I use a tripod because:

1) shaky hands
    2) accurate composition
    3) multi exposure for possible HDR merging
    4) multi exposure for panorama stitching
    5) makes no sense (to me) to hand hold a 5DS
    6) only option when using ND for movement smoothing

Comment

I hand hold for landscapes as (a) it is easier (b) I have steady hands (c) too cumbersome to carry a tripod.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I only use mine now for long exposures as modern stabilised lenses are generally good enough for hand holding and even while bracketing (at high-speed) I find a tripod unnecessary. I also like to take multiple images to stitch into panoramas and the delay caused by recomposing on a tripod would be only too obvious especially where any in-frame subject movement is present. The other reason is my tripod - an old aluminium Manfrotto that oozes quality - is just too heavy for dragging around the countryside.

Cheers,
        John

Comment

Yes I use my tripod, especially in low light situations as well for long exposure. I also tend to use it for HDR images as well.

Tom

Comment

No as like Nathaniel it is easier than carrying a tripod around and I can hold my camera steady enough. Even though I have a decent tripod I seldom use it for anything other than 'product' shots.
            --
            Colin
            http://fotos-espana.com
            http://macameraclub.com
            http://turnspain.com

Comment

No, but then you wouldn't hold my landscape images up as something to aspire to. But I can't be bothered with the faff of carrying and then setting it up. I do any HDR as a high speed burst, which I find the software copes with very well. Even for longer exposure shots (i.e. urban night time landscapes) I have got some decent images just by resting on a convenient wall.
              Canon EOS 7D
              EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
              Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
              flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Generally I don't use a tripod for landscape work finding IS lenses allow fairly slow shutter speeds. For a long exposure shot or where I need careful composition then I might if I've remembered to bring my tripod or I'm not far from home or the car!

As others have said there is usually a solid object around to help out.

Off topic slightly, I do a lot of Art Work photography and will use a tripod to get the optimum shutter speed/aperture/ISO combination but only where tripods are allowed.

Bob
                Bob

EOS 6D mkII, EOS 6D, BG-E13 Grip, EOS 30 (Film), EOS M5, EF-M 22mm f2.0, EF-M 18-150mm, 35mm f2.0 IS, 50mm f1.8 STM, 17-40 f4 L, 24-105 f4 L IS, 70-200f4 L IS, 430EX II, 270EX II, Manfrotto 190XDB +496RC2 tripod, Op Tech straps & Think Tank bags.

Comment

Yes, I always use a tripod when using a dslr for landscape. It slows you down, makes you think a little more about the comp and what filters to use and of course pictures have less shake. Even with all the latest camera and lens gizmos you can not beat a good tripod. The camera is made to use with a tripod, that's why there is a big hole in the bottom. When on the tripod you can use the whole of shutter speed and aperture settings at whatever iso you choose. I try to take every pic with a view of it being a competition winner or to hang on the wall. Of course most go in the big bin lol. The last reason I put down to the red wine. lol
                  Last edited by Treff; 05-10-2016, 15:24.

Comment

Never use my tripod for lanscapes, as it is bulky to carry plus I can hand hold fine.

Comment

If I'm going out to specifically make Landscape/Seascape images, then I will always have my Tripod with me, especially if I'm looking for long exposures. However if I'm just out for the day with family and friends and the camera is coming along then I probably wouldn't take/use a tripod
                      Peter

Feel free to browse my
                      Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Yes, if going out specifically to take landscapes.

Originally posted by Treff View Post
                        Yes, I always use a tripod when using a dslr for landscape. It slows you down, makes you think a little more about the comp and what filters to use and of course pictures have less shake. Even with all the latest camera and lens gizmos you can not beat a good tripod. I try to take every pic with a view of it being a competition winner or to hang on the wall. Of course most go in the big bin lol.
                        Sums up my views nicely, (except I don't enter club competitions)

John

Comment

Originally posted by ST-EOS View Post
                          If I'm going out to specifically make Landscape/Seascape images, then I will always have my Tripod with me, especially if I'm looking for long exposures. However if I'm just out for the day with family and friends and the camera is coming along then I probably wouldn't take/use a tripod
                          This is me exactly
                          Garry Macdonald on Flickr
                          Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Mostly not.

I do occasionally use mine if I know the light is going to be low or there is some other reason that I need to use long shutter times. The rest of the time I find it an inconvenient, heavy and a complete faff to use.

I probably should use it more but I prefer mobility over clutter.
                            Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

It never is a yes or no matter as it all depends on the circumstances.

If I'm going for a particular shot, always a tripod.

If I'm out walking for a photo opportunity then carry the tripod and use.

If just out for a walk and take the camera I make a tripod with my walking poles and my body.

If out scouting for locations and possible compositions for future shots it's handheld.

Comment

Working...
                              X