Autumn Snow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autumn Snow

We had our first snow this week, and whilst it has gone from my garden now, higher up the glen there is still some at higher levels. This morning was a bright, but cold start so I went over to Ben Rinnes, just a couple of miles away, to try to capture some snow and autumn colour. Unfortunately, as the morning went on the clouds began to build and by 1130 it was raining. I really wanted the white cloud to clear off the top of the Ben, to give me a good blue against the white of the mountain, but it never did.

Anyway, here are a couple that I did manage to get.

Tomorrow and Monday look like being bright mornings, so I might get chance to try again.

Re: Autumn Snow

Brrrrrrr... can not be snow already !!!!!

Both nice shots but I suspect the uploading to the forum has made them just a little soft which is a shame as both shots are taken in what appears to be a great area for landscape photography.

I see you have taken these at f/8 and I wonder how they would look at say f/16 as this may give a sharper image across the whole scene.
    Just me thinking out loud.

David
    David

Comment

Thanks David,
      You may be right about the upload / softening, as both originals are pretty sharp. However, I do intend going back up the glen tomorrow or Monday and will go armed with tripod (not too much walking involved ! ) and stop down to f/16 or more and see how that goes.

Forgot to add to my original post :-
      50D, 17 - 40L, f/8, 100 ISO. 1/80th for no.1, 1/125th for no.2

Comment

Probably no need to go beyond f13 as should cover everything to infinity - look at the DOF calculator - here
        ef-r

Comment

Thanks for the link Brian. I'd never seen that before, but bookmarked now !

Comment

Second image is a corker, I really like how you have used the tree to anchor the image.
            Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
            Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Both really nice shots it is a shame about the cloud but as you say your going back. I’m guessing if you shot hand held you didn’t try using a polariser ? Could add even more punch. Also well done on getting the exposure right with the bright sky and snow. The composition is spot on as well.
              400D, 18-55 IS, Tammron 70-300, 5D Mark II, 24-105L,17-40L,50mm 1.8mark11, 430ex11 Flash Gun

Comment

Thanks Les and Martin,
                What's The Chevin like just now Les ? Plenty of autumn colour up there ?
                It's a good forecast for tomorrow morning (this morning was grey and wet, so I didn't bother), so I'll be back with tripod and polariser to see what I can do.

Comment

Very nice ... especially #2. There was real chill in middle England this morning. The berries are ripe and plentiful and the sparrows hard at what sparrows do in the hedge rows. I'm told that means another cold winter. Oh the Buick Swans arrived 2 weeks early.

Comment

Like #1 a lot... excellent use of the side-lighting to great effect...
                    I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
                    Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Stunning pics, I like No2, the tree in the foreground realy sets the scene for me.... thanks for sharing.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                      X