Dorset in February

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dorset in February

2 very nice shots, I am torn, I prefer the greater separation of sky and sea in Door 6 but the colour combination in Door 5. Door 6 is more vivid but somehow to me the colours seem to be slightly off I can't exactly say how or why sorry for that unhelpful technical review

Comment

This is exactly my problem/query. Does PS automatically 'boost' without us realising it?

PS processed has a different 'look' than LR3, it seems to me, or am I talking rubbish??

Derek
      Last edited by Dr Fingers; 04-03-2011, 15:15.

Comment

If you want to keep the wintery tinge... what about black and white... ?
        Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
        Di's Flickr

Comment

Good point! I have experimented with BW, but I don't think I'm quite ready for it yet..

With these shots though, I'm trying to keep the cold grey/blue of the scene as I saw it. As soon as it gets into PP, the temptation to warm it up gets too strong, and everything drifts away from what I'm trying to do, ie, record the scene as it was, not as I would like it to have been. Is this the conundrum of all photography.. to either record a scene as it was, or to manipulate it into something else?

Somehow my BW versions don't look convincing - I've even tried shooting BW in camera (rather than converting from colour afterwards), but somehow digital isn't working in BW for me. Colour is great though, I don't miss 35mm film at all when it comes to colour.

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Fingers View Post
            Is this the conundrum of all photography.. to either record a scene as it was, or to manipulate it into something else?
            Derek
            I'm still working on trying to take a good photo and at least with digital I don't have to pay to see the ones where I've decapitated someone.
            Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
            Di's Flickr

Comment

Just twigged what might be behind a lot of my problems.

Sent off some for prints, which have come back sharper and darker. My Mac Cinema screen wasn't set to its sharpest resolution (for music production reasons), and had not been calibrated. I tried the OSX calibrator, but thta makes it look horrible, a bit like a PC screen, so will invest in a Spyder and calibrate it properly.

Basic newbie error..!!

Derek

Comment

Working...
              X