On the beach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the beach

Whitstable beach - I used a 580EXII as fill flash from some distance which just lifted the colour and took the edge off the black shadows. I did one without flash to compare with. I think 2x 580EX would have done the job better - but this was a learning experience.

This is pretty much full frame - just a little cropped off top and bottom to get the lady on the horizontal 1/3

5dII, 135f2, iso 50, f10, 1/128, exp comp -1/3

ef-r

Re: On the beach

Nice relaxing image Brian
    I woukld not have thought of using flash for this sort of shot and wonder how much effect it had given you used it at some distance. Would be interested to see vthe no flash one to compare

Stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

Here is the first photo - non flash. To see the fill look at the back of the bag and just above the frame of the buggy. I think I could of got more by using flash comp or a second flash.

ef-r

Comment

Here is the first photo - non flash. To see the fill look at the back of the bag and just above the frame of the buggy
        and the hair as well. its quite a subtle difference but i think using shadows and highlights in PS on the non flash shot would have given a similar effect

Stan

flickr

Comment

Yes I agree - however I now plan to use multiple flash.

If this had been taken on a dull day or near sunset then the iso would have been higher and after playing with the dark patches we would see noise. I did this following as a quick experiment from seeing that sports tog using 8 strobes. Well I have 4 x 580 so it will be interesting to see how far away I can usefully flash. There was no pp done on #1.

The other benefit I have found is that using flash tends to improve the colouring and saturation. Look at the post 'Bright Yellow Pansy' - that was taken in a pot in the shade and look how the colour has been lifted there.
          Last edited by briansquibb; 25-03-2011, 14:37.
          ef-r

Comment

I woukld not have thought of using flash for this sort of shot and wonder how much effect it had given you used it at some distance.
            You'd be surpised Stan ! I often a DIY modifier on my flash mounted on camera.
            (Flash zoomed to 105mm)for full lenght portraits at the longer end of my 70-200 2.8
            It gives a nice little lift to the ambient light on a specific, narrow area ie the person's face.

I Don't see why it wouldn't work the same for small birds (of the feathered variety)

Trev

Comment

The fill light gives a nice effect and opens up the shadows. A picture with a nice atmosphere that instills a sense of calm, well done !
              Anna

Comment

Originally posted by Trevoreast View Post
                You'd be surpised Stan ! I often a DIY modifier on my flash mounted on camera.
                (Flash zoomed to 105mm)for full lenght portraits at the longer end of my 70-200 2.8
                It gives a nice little lift to the ambient light on a specific, narrow area ie the person's face.

I Don't see why it wouldn't work the same for small birds (of the feathered variety)

Trev
                There was fill flash on the Redshank(or turnstone as it should have been called)

Trev - did you get one of those lens modifiers?
                ef-r

Comment

Trev - did you get one of those lens modifiers?
                  No it's a DIY job Brian I've just took a picture of it, do you want to see ?
                  I don't want to interupt you Beach Shot

Trev

Comment

No it's a DIY job Brian I've just took a picture of it, do you want to see ?
                    I'd like to see it - perhaps post it in DIY photography

Stan

flickr

Comment

I'd like to see it - perhaps post it in DIY photography
                      Done :-)

Comment

interesting post. something I bet a lot of would rarely think of, especially on bright day. some useful stuff here, thanks for sharing guys.
                        David

EOS 1000D EFS18-55mm, EF 75-300mm, Kenko DG Extension Tubes

Please bare with me on replies to your comments as my work commitments keep me away from here during the week.
                        All of your comments and advice are gratefully received and appreciated though

Comment

Working...
                        X