Going Up The Old Man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going Up The Old Man

Sunday I led a group of 16 up The Old Man of Coniston (2625'). Weather was perfect. Leading means little time to snap away but here is a sample. Whilst the walk itself was only 8.5 miles ... the climb (and descent) is quite hard.

The Old Man Trig Point

Low Water (a tarn at about 1800') ... it's colour ... that's the slate's colour.

Coniston (the lake and village)

An industrial relic

As ever feel free to tell me what technical mistakes I've made.

(Armoured 40D plus 17-40L)
    Last edited by MX5; 18-04-2011, 07:08.

Re: Going Up The Old Man

Nice series MX5. Makes me "pant" looking at the pics and the beauty of the scenery. I drove up to Conniston last year just to see what Donald Campbell did.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Thanks Nat. Mr Whoppit was missing from Campbells grave yesterday ... I'm hoping he's just gone to be cleaned.

Comment

Love the views. The distance you can see is incredible.
        Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
        Di's Flickr

Comment

Nice set MX5!

#1 is best for me but I really can't say why I like it best... strange! They're all great, can't fault them at all, so no technical comments from me! You certainly picked a good day to venture up there, and as DeeGee says, great views. You're so lucky to have that on your doorstep!

Thanks for posting. all the best, Mike.
          flickr
          5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Very nice images, I'm torn between no 1 and 2 as my favorite, oh and it's not a technical point but it would have been nice if the people weren't in the window of the last image. Just my tuppenth worth.

John

Comment

Those views make the "climb" worth the while.
              Great shots

David
              David

Comment

All - Thanks.

John - agree ... but that's how it was **. I hadn't the time to wait for them to move on ... couldn't get another angle ... although did try again on way down (another view point):

This lot is about 1500' up. It's hard to imagine the walk the quarrymen would have had to work, the work itself, then the walk home after a 12 hour shift. We think we have it tough ...

** I'm not one for 'changing things' other than getting the exposure and sharpness right. Sometime's I will crop out rubbish ... but not in any of these.
                Last edited by MX5; 20-04-2011, 11:08.

Comment

Nice set you have there,with fantastic views,

It was nice the weather played its part for you !!

Paul
                  EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                  Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Nice set, and a great reward for the long hike up there......

Gary

Comment

Working...
                    X