A quiet wood..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A quiet wood..

Just out for a wander in our local woods, and caught a patch of late sun..

Derek

Patch of light by Dr Fingers, on Flickr

Re: A quiet wood..

I like this, you've caught the sun just right.
    Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
    Di's Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by DeeGee View Post
      I like this, you've caught the sun just right.

Thanks,

but I'm not sure that it is actually really sharp though, despite lying down and resting against a log. However, the light was just right, almost a 'spotlight' effect.

Derek

Comment

Cracking pic, well spotted.....

Gary

Comment

Well, had a play with this in Lightroom. I'm a bit confused: the histogram is way over to the left, so I suppose this means that the shot is heavily under-exposed? However, I like it like this., which begs the question, is the histogram only there to prevent blown highlights?

I have read that a good exposure should look 'look like a mountain' in the histogram, but this doesn't.

Any opinions/preferences as to these two versions would be appreciated. I'm really trying to find my feet with PP...is this 'overdone'?

Derek

Patch of Light3 (1 of 1) by Dr Fingers, on Flickr

Comment

Hi I may well be wrong but my interpretation of the histogram being to the left is that it is showing for the whole image which on balance is under-exposed but the centre portion is either correctly exosed or possibly even a little over-exposed on one or two bluebells.

To prove this to yourself simply go into the develop section in Lightroom, create a virtual copy so yuo don't change any of your settings then simply select the light area in the middle and look at the histogram then you will almost certainly fiond that it is much more in the middle or possibly all the way to the right showing over-exposure

Comment

Originally posted by Muscat View Post
              Hi I may well be wrong but my interpretation of the histogram being to the left is that it is showing for the whole image which on balance is under-exposed but the centre portion is either correctly exosed or possibly even a little over-exposed on one or two bluebells.

To prove this to yourself simply go into the develop section in Lightroom, create a virtual copy so yuo don't change any of your settings then simply select the light area in the middle and look at the histogram then you will almost certainly fiond that it is much more in the middle or possibly all the way to the right showing over-exposure
              Many thanks for this: how do I ' simply select the light area in the middle', and ' create a virtual copy' ? I'm new to LR, just trying to find my way around..

Derek

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Fingers View Post
                Many thanks for this: how do I ' simply select the light area in the middle', and ' create a virtual copy' ? I'm new to LR, just trying to find my way around..
                Derek
                To create the virtual copy in the Develop mode on the bar along the top of Lightroom there is a tab called Photo, click on this and you get a drop down and one of teh options is create a virtual copy by selecting this option Lightroom simply makes a new file for the adjsutments that you want to make saving the original.

Once you have the second copy, again in the Develop mode directly under the Histogram there should be a little rectangle made up of --'s click on this and the 'Crop Overlay' tool will be activated this allows you to drag the sides of the picture in to form any sized rectangle selecting any portion of the picture, clicking on the litle rectangle (Crop Overlay) icon again will confirm your selection.

If you want to adjust the horizontal or vertical level of the image whilst using the 'Crop Overlay' tool if you place the cursor against one of the thicker dashes in the middle of the sides your cursor will change shape to a bent double headed arrow, by holding down the left hand button on your mouse and then moving the mouse you can rotate the image to correct any horizon that may be out of line.

I hope this helps

Comment

Yes indeed, many thanks. Have also discovered the brush tool..sort of a 'dodge and burn'?

Derek

Comment

Working...
                  X