• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windmill by the river

Taken in Rye

ef-r

Re: Windmill by the river

Very nice shot! Ik like the mill and the birdge, and there also a little reflection in de water from the mill. I like it!
    With kind regards,
    Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128548396@N08/

Comment

That's a lovely picture. Very Dutch. Isn't this the part of England most like the Netherlands? Forgive my ignorance!

If I had any criticism it would be that the blue cast (on my screen) means that the windmill doesn't stand out against the sky as well as it would otherwise do. But that a very minor criticism.
      Garrett

Still struggling to see the wonder of the world around me.

450D, 18-55mm & 55-250mm kit lenses, 50mm f1.8. Canon PowerShot G12., Ixus 950IS.

Comment

What uses that bridge?

Comment

I would guess that the white windmill against the white clouds will never really stand out.

The bridge is a local railway line
          ef-r

Comment

A very good composition! Probably the best way to make the windmill stand out more would be to go back & visit again during a golden hour, it would look great with the sun setting in the background.
            Regards Eddie.
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Nice shot Brian

DaveH

Comment

Or get them to paint the windmill brown!
                Garrett

Still struggling to see the wonder of the world around me.

450D, 18-55mm & 55-250mm kit lenses, 50mm f1.8. Canon PowerShot G12., Ixus 950IS.

Comment

or wait until the typical Kent sky...
                  David

Comment

This is in Sussex which is why the sky is blue .....

Taken about 19:00 - any later than this and it would have been dark. This is an HDR shot of 5 images which I had to do to lift the dark river
                    ef-r

Comment

I thought there was some HDR in there, which is why I waited to comment. Nicely done Brian, the original shot and the HDR.

Colin
                      Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                        I thought there was some HDR in there, which is why I waited to comment. Nicely done Brian, the original shot and the HDR.

Colin
                        Thank you Colin. I try and use HDR just for the HDR rather than the effects it can introduce.

This was one of those situations where correct exposure of the river meant a completely blown out sky and windmill to the point where you couldn't see them. So it was a case of HDR or no shot.

Brian
                        ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by ax2010@eircom.net View Post
                          That's a lovely picture. Very Dutch. Isn't this the part of England most like the Netherlands? Forgive my ignorance!

If I had any criticism it would be that the blue cast (on my screen) means that the windmill doesn't stand out against the sky as well as it would otherwise do. But that a very minor criticism.
                          Like The Netherlands? Because of the mill and the green grass?
                          With kind regards,
                          Friso

Canon EOS 70D | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 | Canon EFS 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6mm IS STM | Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 |

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128548396@N08/

Comment

I think he means the Norfolk Broads which are very flat and often below sea level. And lots of wind pumps.

This is a real windmill used to grind corn which is sited by the river for easy transport - this is on the south east of England where the hills just behind here are about 150m
                            ef-r

Comment

Do like this. From the reflection in the water to the windmill against the sky. Just the right amount of HDR me thinks.
                              Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                              Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X