Light at the end of the tunnel...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light at the end of the tunnel...

From the St. John Cavalier Bastion in Valetta, Malta. Originally a defensive fortification but now transformed into a centre for modern arts and music. The tunnel, which was originally a ramp for dragging cannon into the place, is now the main entrance. I dragged myself and my Canon to the top and looked back along the tunnel into the midday bright sunlight outside -

For what it's worth here's the view from the outside looking in -

50D + 24-105L.

Cheers, Chris.
    Just chuggin' along.

Re: Light at the end of the tunnel...

Interesting and nice. Not a 4-6-2 in sight mind

Comment

Good point, George Bear. I didn't have time when in Malta to investigate any of the remains or history of the Malta Railway, which ran from Valetta to Medina, although I did go through the gate that was made in the defensive city wall of Medina to give people a short cut to the station...
      Cheers, Chris.
      Just chuggin' along.

Comment

Is it just me... but on the first shot it looks like the tunnel entrance is up... but I can see from the second shot that you climb up into the tunnel. (please tell me that its not just me.)

Do like the colouring in the first one, the sheen on the steps really shows up.
        Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
        Di's Flickr

Comment

DeeGee - the first one is looking down, easy for me to see but I was there.... However, having studied it I can see that it could appear as going up....
          Thanks for the comment. I wonder how others will see it.
          Cheers, Chris.
          Just chuggin' along.

Comment

Chris when I first looked at #1 I also thoughtthat it was running uphill until I saw #2 and then going back to #1 if I look more closely at the steps it is obvious it must be a down hill tunnel, I think the black hoops cause the optical illusion. Never been to Malter but hear it is an interesting place

Comment

Working...
            X