Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eastcoast.

Famous statue for Cleethorpes. "The Leaking Boot"

Nice day, slight wind, sunshine and some clouds.

500D - 50-250mm lens.

Got some more that I took from off the pier but not "fiddled" with them yet...
    Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
    Di's Flickr

Re: Eastcoast.

I like that image Dee,Think the Depth of field in the foreground and background give the image good depth and really pulls you nicely into the picture.
    Wait for it as there's always a BUT if i were to be critical i would crop out the lights on the left hand side. (top left)

Paul
    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Very nice Dee I agree with Paul get rid of the lamp post

Coda
      There will be times when you will be in the field without a camera. And, you will see the most glorious sunset or the most beautiful scene that you have ever witnessed. Don't be bitter because you can't record it. Sit down, drink it in, and enjoy it for what it is!

Comment

Lovely image, love the DOF, as above get rid of the lamp posts and will be perfect.

Joanne
        To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Comment

Di - very nice. I don’t think I’ve ever been to Cleethorpes (or any Lincolnshire seaside town for that matter) and I’ve never heard of the ‘Leaking Boot’.

Comment

Delightful - thanks for that. Nice shot.
            Is the original statue still in library half a mile along the sea-front?

And if I asked - do you have any photos of Meggies in their red flannel underwear?

Or if you are into birds the large flocks of Knot flocking like starlings over the beach?

Cheers, Chris.
            Just chuggin' along.

Comment

I like that image Dee,Think the Depth of field in the foreground and background give the image good depth and really pulls you nicely into the picture.
              Wait for it as there's always a BUT if i were to be critical i would crop out the lights on the left hand side. (top left)

Paul
              Would you believe it, I had statue blindness, I never saw the lamp posts.

Very nice Dee I agree with Paul get rid of the lamp post

Coda
              Lovely image, love the DOF, as above get rid of the lamp posts and will be perfect.

Joanne
              Thanks all, lamp posts are now gone.

Di - very nice. I don’t think I’ve ever been to Cleethorpes (or any Lincolnshire seaside town for that matter) and I’ve never heard of the ‘Leaking Boot’.
              Here you go..http://www.cleethorpesuk.com/visitor...?f=Cleethorpes

Delightful - thanks for that. Nice shot.
              Is the original statue still in library half a mile along the sea-front?

And if I asked - do you have any photos of Meggies in their red flannel underwear?

Or if you are into birds the large flocks of Knot flocking like starlings over the beach?

Cheers, Chris.
              Not sure if its still in the library, I do know that the one in the middle of the pond is a copy, and for some reason I seem to remember that water used to come from the boot, but I could be confused (it happens a lot.) :smile

Meggies? Knot? totally confused now.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by DeeGee; 23-05-2011, 20:12.
              Di's Flickr

Comment

People from London are called "Londoners", from Grimsby they are "Grimbarians", but from Cleethorpes they are "Meggies". The name originates from a dangerous sand-bank/reef off the beach that was called "Meg's Island". Legend has it that a boat carrying a cargo of red flannel was wrecked on the island and raided by the locals. But, what do you do with a life-time supply of red flannel that doesn't give you away as a thief? Answer - use it where it wouldn't show, so to this day the way to identify a true Meggie is to see if they are wearing red flannel knickers....

Lots of birds on the beach - the usual gulls, oystercatchers, sanderlings etc. Curlew and other waders near the Leisure Centre/Boating Lake where the mud is being colonised by the Spartina grass, and large flocks of the little waders called Knot that often take off in swarms like starlings.

And don't forget the Cleethrpes Station clock and what is now the fish and chip shop at the staion but was the original waiting room - designed by John Fowler who did the Forth Bridge. Some excellent iron work. I think I posted a couple of pictures of these in the past.

Added later - yes, I did - http://www.eos-magazine-forum.com/sh...he-Last-Resort

Cheers, Chris.
                Last edited by Chris J; 24-05-2011, 07:45.
                Just chuggin' along.

Comment

Hi Di
                  A very nice colourful image, much better without the lampost - you are not alone in missing things

Stan
                  Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                  flickr

Comment

Chris...

The sand bank is still there. You've got to be off it at least four hours before high tide. Never heard the story about the red flannel. LOL! going to have to check whats peaking up past mens trousers now.

When I go back I might have a go at the birds on the beach, problem is I always take my dog, and she's not allowed on the sands in the main town area in the summer months.

Funny thing is, I was looking at the iron work on the railway station only on Saturday. I did however have a sticky donut in hand, so left the camera well alone...

Ah well, Next time.
                    Di's Flickr

Comment

Hi Dee

I really liked the original, but I love the re-cropped one! As stated above, nice DoF, and even with the new crop, the boy's head is still on a 3rd! Spot on!

All the best, mike.
                      flickr
                      5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                        Hi Di
                        A very nice colourful image, much better without the lampost - you are not alone in missing things

Stan
                        Thing is Stan, I tend to focus so much on the "thing" I want to capture, I forget about background and things that might just stick out.

I'm having to learn to think about it "all"

Di's Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                          Hi Di

Stan
                          Thing is Stan, I tend to focus so much on the "thing" I want to capture, I forget about background and things that might just stick out.

I'm having to learn to think about it "all"

Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
                          X