Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6ft high,shiny, round camera on B & Q shed....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6ft high,shiny, round camera on B & Q shed....

Just that - except it's a camera obscura -

In the grounds of Compton Verney Art Gallery near Wellesbourne in Warwickshire. I understand the creation has been displayed in Tatton Park previously.

Gives a fair picture (although it was a v. dull day) inside the camera -

The grounds of Compton Verney are worth a visit -

- as is the house and gallery (currently has exhibitions about Capability Brown and Spencer the painter) -

All 50D + 24-105L.

Cheers, Chris.
    Just chuggin' along.

Re: 6ft high,shiny, round camera on B & Q shed....

What a weird looking thing... but at the same time very interesting..

Do like the bridge shot.
    Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
    Di's Flickr

Comment

I have not seen this camera obscura but find then fascinating and as you say the quality of the images they produce is amazing.

As Di said the bridge scene is very nice, woukld it be even better if you trimmed either a little off the top or the bottp to move the bridge nearer the 1/3 line? scrolling the imgae up / down the screen I personally think by removing 1/2 the sky makes a stronger picture. Just my personal view and I am sure others will have differntviews

Comment

I'm try to think where the Camera Obscura was I visited that was in a tower which overlooked a city. Edinburgh? Oh dear old age and failing memory.

Anyway it was a facinating device. By the way ... the NMM is well worth a visit if you are passing Bradford (en route KWVR ).

PS Nice venue and nice pictures btw.

Comment

Nice set of images
          #1 looks like someone droped a bouncing bomb and mised the lake
          The bridge shot if my favorite

Peter
          There will be times when you will be in the field without a camera. And, you will see the most glorious sunset or the most beautiful scene that you have ever witnessed. Don't be bitter because you can't record it. Sit down, drink it in, and enjoy it for what it is!

Comment

Thanks for the comments.
            I've seen camera obscuras before, but never one quite like this. It had a series of lenses around its "equator", was matt white on the inside to act as a screen, and accessed by a staircase in the middle of the shed. To view you climbed the staircase and put your head up into the sphere.... This had a strange effect on sounds as well - it amplifying every rustle of clothing, breathing noise etc - in fact I thought I'd become serious asthmatic hearing the deep beathing sounds.

Yes, it's a nice bridge. The grounds here were worked over by Capability Brown so landscape vistas rather than neat flower-beds rule... Here's a more pleasing shot from last year with the sun in a better position -

Oh, and if you do visit - excellent and interesting food in the restaurant, and two-for-one entry at the moment if you can show a National Trust membership card.
            Cheers, Chris.
            Just chuggin' along.

Comment

Working...
            X