Close ups of Caerphilly castle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Close ups of Caerphilly castle

I thought I'd take some close ups of the well known Caerphilly Castle, South Wales. Let me know what you think. I used my 70-200mm f4 L lens.

(i)

(ii)

(iii)
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Close ups of Caerphilly castle

Nat - The castle has not been looked after very well Don't think I've been there.

Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by MX5; 04-07-2011, 16:19. Reason: Corrected my bad English

Comment

Nathaniel - in PSE open the picture and do:

Enhance/Auto fix
      Enhance/ autosharpen

You should see a big improvement - looks really nice after that

Brian
      ef-r

Comment

Originally posted by briansquibb View Post
        Nathaniel - in PSE open the picture and do:

Enhance/Auto fix
        Enhance/ autosharpen

You should see a big improvement - looks really nice after that

Brian
        Learning mode ....... What is PSE????????????

Malcolm.
        760D
        EF 50mm f1.8,EF 28-135 IS USM,
        Sigma 10-20 DC HSM,EFS 18-55 IS STM
        EF 70-300 IS USM
        Kenko Teleplus HD 1.4 DGX
        YN685ll,YN568EXll,YN468,YN622TX and YN622TRX's.

Comment

Originally posted by malgpz900 View Post
          Learning mode ....... What is PSE????????????

Malcolm.
          PSE = Adobe Photoshop Elements

Comment

Cheers MX5.

Malcolm.
            760D
            EF 50mm f1.8,EF 28-135 IS USM,
            Sigma 10-20 DC HSM,EFS 18-55 IS STM
            EF 70-300 IS USM
            Kenko Teleplus HD 1.4 DGX
            YN685ll,YN568EXll,YN468,YN622TX and YN622TRX's.

Comment

Thank you for your comments. Yes, the Castle is not being looked after well, although they seem to have functions- weddings etc inside the castle grounds.
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

It's been 26 years since I last visited Caerphilly Castle - I was 23 and went to my first Ball - such wonderful memories....although the castle looks like its aged as much as me :) You should have told me you were in the area and we could have met up for a chinwag.

Joanne
                To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Comment

Hi! Joanne,

Not to worry. I will come again,hopefully soon. I was coming for a wedding on 2nd july, and went back on Sunday 3rd. I stayed over at Pentwyn- Premier Inn (very nice for a PInn). I also came with my other half. The Castle looked really "sad" as I too saw it after so many years; the reception was in the Castle- inside the one remaining room!! It was quaint. Fortunately it did not rain otherwise we would have been in some sort of trouble.

Comment

As above-just needs a few tweeks and a little sharpening..
                    hhcanon

Comment

Do like the second shot, not sure what it is, but it keeps drawing my eye.
                      Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                      Di's Flickr

Comment

I think it is the sheer dereliction of this ancient monument. I did take these close ups just to show members and whoever likes history the "waste" of some of our heritage!!! I am sure this castle will be a good tourist attraction if the" powers be" only spent some money to restore and look after it.

Comment

Hi Nathaniel Its nice to see someone taking pictures of the castle. One of our fellows recently did some very nice night shots! To my shame having been born within a few miles of the castle I waited thirty five years before visiting. For the record there as long been an restoration programme, evidenced by the new stone work in your first shot. Caerphilly is famous for the leaning tower and this more than likely contributes to visitors believing it is in a poor state. For the record its also the 2nd largest castle in Europe!
                          Alun

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                            I think it is the sheer dereliction of this ancient monument. I did take these close ups just to show members and whoever likes history the "waste" of some of our heritage!!! I am sure this castle will be a good tourist attraction if the" powers be" only spent some money to restore and look after it.
                            I personally feel that too many castles, abbeys and other ruins are just being left to the elements.
                            I was sadened to discover that people are taking stones from old ruined castles to make rockeries in their gardens.
                            Personally I would like to see a selection of these ruins restored to their former glory. Caerphilly castle was built some 640 years ago.

Comment

Nathaniel, nice pictures of the castle at Caerphilly. Did you spot the statue of Tommy Cooper in front of that castle ?
                              Not like that. Like that. Ha, ha,
                              Cheers
                              Treff

Comment

Working...
                              X