Dilapidation, Loch Duich, Rattagan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dilapidation, Loch Duich, Rattagan

Hi all - took this back in 2019, processed then forgotten about. Not a great day, when I arrived at Rattagan, 3 kids were playing in and around the boats. They very kindly allowed me to take these, while they stood behind me watching my every move. Soon as I saw the scene, I thought B&W, but included the colour (HDR) version too. I now have an R5, but miss the 5Ds for the in-camera HDR (R5 does not do a great job here)

Taken on 5Ds with 24-70 f2.8 II

Dilapidation, Loch Duich, Ratagan (B&W) by Lez501, on Flickr

...Or in Colour

Dilapidation, Loch Duich, Ratagan by Lez501, on Flickr
    Regards
    Lez

5Ds // 5D Mark III //
    7D Mark II // 16-35 f4L // 24-70 f2.8L II //
    24-105 f4L II // 70-200 f4 L // 70-200 f2.8 Lis II // 50 f1.2L // 85 f1.8 //100 f2.8Lis // 200 f2.8L // 300 f4Lis // 1.4ex // .......... and a longer wish list

Nice shot, much prefer the one in colour myself
    Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

Echo Tiger's comment
      Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

I like the monochrome one. Well taken

Comment

Excellent shot, colour version for me too.
          7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

It's interesting to see the two pictures together as it shows how the subject changes between the two. The b&w to me is a picture of two ruined boats and abandoned machinery by a loch. The colour one is a picture of a loch scene with some old boats and machinery in the foreground.

For me the B&W conveys Dilapidation more than the colour one.

Comment

Skies can look more dramatic in B&W, but for me landscapes look better au natural, all personal taste after all.
              Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

Thanks for the comments everyone, much appreciated

Thought this would be a "Marmite" image....
                Regards
                Lez

5Ds // 5D Mark III //
                24-105 f4L II // 70-200 f4 L // 70-200 f2.8 Lis II // 50 f1.2L // 85 f1.8 //100 f2.8Lis // 200 f2.8L // 300 f4Lis // 1.4ex // .......... and a longer wish list

Comment

The HDR doesn't look quite right to me, the foreground being a touch over saturated.

I much prefer the black and white, with the more dramatic sky and more in keeping with the title of the image.
                  Colin

Comment

Mono all the way, for me it far better conveys the sense of decay and abandonment than colour.
                    Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Thanks for the comments again guy's, much appreciated.

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                      The HDR doesn't look quite right to me, the foreground being a touch over saturated.

I much prefer the black and white, with the more dramatic sky and more in keeping with the title of the image.
                      Agree Colin, this is sooc - usually dial down the saturation a little, but forgot on this one, as I said earlier, B&W it was always going to be for me
                      Regards
                      Lez

5Ds // 5D Mark III //

Comment

I'm liking the Mono one best Lez. Fits the description best.
                        Derek

EOS R, RF 24-105mm L f4, EF 16-35mm L f4, EF 70-200mm f4 L IS II USM

Comment

Both are nice photos, I too like the colour photo better.
                          Railway Photography - Steam Train Photos

Comment

Agree with Colin, colour one works best for me....Nice shot
                            Regards,

Jeff

Eos 1D x and Eos 1D mk4, EF 24-105L F4, EF 70-200L F2.8 mk2, EF 100L F2.8 macro, 1.4 and 2.0 mk3 converters, Sigma Art 12-24 F4, Sigma Art 85 F1.4 .....Pixapro GI01 speedlite, Citi 600 battery strobes and Pika200 battery strobes.

Comment

Mono for me as it's far more dramatic

Cheers,
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              X