Myrtle Bay, Derwent Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Myrtle Bay, Derwent Water

Having two nights in the Lakes in the Campervan at Borrowdale caravan club site...this was taken only half a mile away at Myrtle Bay on Derwent Water looking north towards Keswick.....straight out of the camera using Landscape profile...R6 and RF 15-35f2.8L....I can only muster 6 stops of ND filtering, so stopped down to f18 to get a 15 second exposure at ISO100 @ 23mm on a Three Legged Friend tripod appropriately called 'Brian'
    It was the blue hour....just love the colours in the sky

critique welcome

_VR68672 by brianvickers, on Flickr
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Lovely image Brian, absolutely superb.
    7D, 400D, EF-S 15-85 f3.5/5.6, EF 100 f2.8 USM macro, Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6, Sigma 70-300 f4/5.6 APO, Sigma 50 f1.4, EF 28-90, EF 90-300, Sigma 150-600C, 430 EXll, Yongnuo 568 EX ll, Yongnuo Triggers, Yongnuo YN14-EX Ring Flash

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/94610707@N05/

Comment

What a great shot Brian, truly lovely.
      Trev

Equipment - According to the wife more than a Camera Shop got

Flickr:
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/trevb2639/

Comment

I think that's possibly the nicest image I've seen of Derwent water nice work Brian. I really love that spot of sunlight hitting the hill in the distance

Comment

That is beautiful Brian, a view you could look at for a long time.
          I have never been to Borrowdale or Derwent Water, something I should rectify.
          Rose

Comment

For "SOOC" image this one is extremely nice Brian, well done. It looks as though it was a very still day as there's no movement in the branches. I'm just wondering what a square crop (from the Top losing the lower part) would do to the image.
            Peter

Feel free to browse my
            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Excellent photo Brian, looks a nice spot too.
              Railway Photography - Steam Train Photos

Comment

That is a really excellent image nicely composed.
                CANON 2000D CANON 70D CANON 100-400MML MK1 CANON70-200MML F4 USM CANON 17-85 IS USM CANON SPEEDLITE 550EX CANON SPEEDLITE 270EX

Comment

Originally posted by NathCarr91 View Post
                  I think that's possibly the nicest image I've seen of Derwent water nice work Brian. I really love that spot of sunlight hitting the hill in the distance
                  Thanks Nath...had the M6 been clear I probably would have not visited this scene, but as I arrived just in time for the blue hour I went to the closet location and was lucky.
                  Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Originally posted by Lavenderhill View Post
                    That is beautiful Brian, a view you could look at for a long time.
                    I have never been to Borrowdale or Derwent Water, something I should rectify.
                    Rose
                    You really must go there its my favourite of the lakes, very picturesque. If you go then a visit to the Dog and Gun in Keswick is highly recommended...their famous Hungarian goulash is fantastic.....goes down well with a pint of Hawkshead red!
                    Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Thanks All.....Ill post that crop asap
                      Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Originally posted by @imagesBV View Post

You really must go there its my favourite of the lakes, very picturesque. If you go then a visit to the Dog and Gun in Keswick is highly recommended...their famous Hungarian goulash is fantastic.....goes down well with a pint of Hawkshead red!
                        The goulash and hawkshead red has definitely moved it to the top of places to visit!
                        Rose.

Comment

Originally posted by ST-EOS View Post
                          For "SOOC" image this one is extremely nice Brian, well done. It looks as though it was a very still day as there's no movement in the branches. I'm just wondering what a square crop (from the Top losing the lower part) would do to the image.
                          _VR68672SQ by brianvickers, on Flickr
                          Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

A beautiful pic Brian, \lovely and very atmospheric. Super to see.

Ian
                            Ian

Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/154026104@N07

Comment

Originally posted by @imagesBV View Post

Thanks Nath...had the M6 been clear I probably would have not visited this scene, but as I arrived just in time for the blue hour I went to the closet location and was lucky.
                              Well worth the detour I'd say .

If you or anybody are ever in the area again let me know, I live just a 30 minute drive away from Keswick and go there every so often so id be happy to do a meet up and go for a outing with anybody. And then some food and drinks afterwards Lavenderhill I'd also recommend visiting Derwent water and surrounding area.

There's a great book on photographing the lake district with detailed routes and how to get there, with access details etc. It's like a Bible for anybody going to the lakes with a camera, and keeps you away from all the busy areas (the lakes is notorious for being rammed) I don't go as often as a I want for that reason and venture up Scotland way instead

PS . Brian, this image works very well in B&W too. My phone goes into 'bedtime' mode which shows a B&W screen after 9pm so Ive just seen it in mono. Looks great, I still prefer the colour though, I also prefer the uncropped version
                              Last edited by NathCarr91; 22-10-2023, 21:04.

Comment

Working...
                              X