HDR Bethlehem Steel Mill - Bethlehem, Pa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HDR Bethlehem Steel Mill - Bethlehem, Pa

This shot of the steel mill taken @ 10 AM using 9 shots 1 stop apart.

Tom

Re: HDR Bethlehem Steel Mill - Bethlehem, Pa

It's an interesting scene, Tom, and though I don't know it I feel I'd be drawn to photograph it . You've got a remarkable steely look on the surface of the river too. However, having said that, for me the HDR is over-done. There's an unreal something about the vegetation on the river bank and the trees in the distance. Also there's a bit of a halo along the sky-line of the hills. I'm not experienced enough with HDR to say how to remedy these criticisms.
    Garrett

Still struggling to see the wonder of the world around me.

450D, 18-55mm & 55-250mm kit lenses, 50mm f1.8. Canon PowerShot G12., Ixus 950IS.

Comment

though I don't know it I feel I'd be drawn to photograph it
      I think I would be but I too think the HDR is not quite right, the whole effect looks a bit strange
      When you say you used 9 shots 1 stop apart are you meaning a range of +/- 4 stops - if so I think that may be where the problem lies. I dont do too many HDR's myself so not an expert but i have found 3 to 5 shots is usually more than enough to get the range of tones (-1,-2,0, +1,+2)

Stan
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

The 9 shots are from +2 +1 0 -1 -2 -3 -4 -5 -6 I used Nik's HDR Plug in & the actual HDR results look much different. This was a filter in Nik's software I used & tweaked it as I liked the results. I will post the actual HDR shot later this evening.

Tom

Comment

As promised: Other than combining the images, I balanced the colors & exposure

Comment

for me the second post, without the NIK filter, is much better.

Comment

Thanks. For me I printed the 1st on krom paper that gives the shot a surreal 3d effect which was the look I was after. I know that it might not be appealing to everyone, but that's ok.

Tom

Comment

Hi Tom
                THe second does look much more natural
                For me I printed the 1st on krom paper that gives the shot a surreal 3d effect which was the look I was after
                I guess using the right sort of paper it would look good but not so on the computer. As a matter of interest did you print show the halo around the hill tops or is that just the result of re sizing to upload

Stan
                Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                flickr

Comment

Stan,

The printed version doesn't show the halos.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                  X