Requiem for a Dream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requiem for a Dream

Not sure how to start this one.......This is not an objective record shot, but an attempt to at being true to the “emotional honesty” of the image as I saw it - to explain

I wanted to photograph this building and provide a comment about the passage of time, so I imagined a mono image, long exposure to blur the clouds and create movement. Mother Nature had different ideas though with only a grey sky punctuated by a weak sun! I took two exposures anyway and left it at that for a couple of weeks.

In the meantime I did a little research on the building. Built by Lord Tweedmouth after his purchase of the estate in 1854, Guisachan House was visited by many important people, including the Duke and Duchess of York (later to become George V and Queen Mary). The end came in 1939 when the house was purchased by the owner of nearby Hilton Lodge, Lady Islington, who was annoyed that Guisachan House was being used as a training centre, their activities included swimming in Hilton Loch. Anything that could be moved was sold off and the roof removed.

So armed with a little more information and coming back to the image, I felt I needed to give a sense of the building’s history – as if it were recalling old memories, evoking lost dreams. The house seems destined to live in a world of delusion, fantasy and reckless desperation, one that’s being slowly overtaken and devastated by reality.

"Requiem aeternam dona eis, Domine et lux perpetua luceat eis.” – "Grant them eternal rest, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them.
    "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." — Marilyn Monroe

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gypsy-/

Re: Requiem for a Dream

Beautiful Gypsy. Graydon
    Canon 6D & 7D | Light Room + CS6 |
    EF 70-300L | EF 100 Macro | EF 24-105L | EF17-40L | Canon EF 50mm

Comment

Not quite what to say Gypsy, your research and text have given the image a quality that is greater than the sum of it's parts. very well done and thank you for posting.

Ray

Comment

Brilliant and thank you very much for sharing.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Now there is an object lesson in photography. not only posting the thoughts behind the composition and construction of the shot, but then managing to pull off the shot too. Excellent work Gypsy. How did you set the shot? I would love to have a crack at capturing a shot like that.
          David

EOS 1000D EFS18-55mm, EF 75-300mm, Kenko DG Extension Tubes

Please bare with me on replies to your comments as my work commitments keep me away from here during the week.
          All of your comments and advice are gratefully received and appreciated though

Comment

I'm not absolutely sure I like the shot, but that's personal taste. It doesn't stop me being extremely impressed with it both technically and artistically and I think you have an exceptional and unique image.

Initial reaction was 'I could see that as the cover of a book'. Possibly a poster for a film or a play. It's an image which needs a use, I think, to give it a purpose. I hope that makes sense - it's meant to be complimentary if it doesn't!
            Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Stunning image & a great title too. :)
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/47830258@N08/

Comment

Originally posted by Woolley View Post
                ....... 'I could see that as the cover of a book'. Possibly a poster for a film or a play. It's an image which needs a use, I think, to give it a purpose. .......!

I can see that on the cover of a Neil Gaiman book
                http://rsfphoto.foliopic.com/

Comment

Guys - I'm a bit stunned by your reactions - Thankyou so much for all your thoughts and comments. I wondered if it was so 'off the wall' folk wouldn't get it.

Originally posted by Pinkeez View Post
                  Now there is an object lesson in photography. not only posting the thoughts behind the composition and construction of the shot, but then managing to pull off the shot too. Excellent work Gypsy. How did you set the shot? I would love to have a crack at capturing a shot like that.
                  David - here's the techy bit (me techy, lol)

I used a Canon 7D, Sigma 10-20, Tripod, B&W 10 stop and a remote - camera set to bulb, focal length 11mm, ISO 100

Then

2 raw files > basic adjustments in Adobe Lightroom – crop, white balance set to cloudy, lens adjustment (to try and sort out the converging verticals)
                  Exported into HDR Effex > pre-set default, HDR method- soft
                  Opened file into Photoshop CS > cloned out distractions (on background layer)
                  Duplicate layer > upped contrast & brightness (layer 1)
                  Duplicate layer > desaturate > opacity30% > set layer mode to overlay (layer 2)
                  Selected sky with magic wand tool > Duplicated selection from layer 1 (Ctrl + J) > Inversed selection from layer 1, then duplicated selection (this gave me two further layers one with sky one with forground)
                  Sky layer > filter > blur > radial blur set to zoom > reduced opacity
                  Repeated step 7 for foreground layer
                  Set up a layer mask on both sky layer and forground layer, set layer mode to either soft light (I think), then used soft brush (altering settings between 15% and 60 % opacity) to erase and soften the radial blur effect
                  New layer > Opacity 100% > mode overlay > used a large soft brush (set between 5% and 15%) to ‘paint’ the lighting – set brush colour to black to enhance shadows and white to reveal detail (I don't really like the dodge and burn tool)

HTH

@ Woolley - I know what you mean and thankyou for the compliment

Gypsy
                  Last edited by Gypsy; 26-08-2011, 06:43.
                  "Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." — Marilyn Monroe

Comment

This is an excellent use of HDR to give that little extra atmosphere. You have created a picture that reminds me of a Constable painting!

To me it is the leftmost front tree that really makes the picture

Excellent - thanks for sharing!
                    ef-r

Comment

You have created a picture that reminds me of a Constable painting!
                      That's what I thought,
                      Nice image, at a quick glance, and it could just be me.... those light branches in the left foreground, look like an outsized artist's signature.
                      Not a crit, I just thought it was worth mentioning.:-)

Trev

Comment

Originally posted by Gypsy View Post
                        Guys - I'm a bit stunned by your reactions - Thankyou so much for all your thoughts and comments. I wondered if it was so 'off the wall' folk wouldn't get it.

David - here's the techy bit (me techy, lol) . . . . . . .
                        Gypsy
                        thanks for sharing the tech stuff. I would never be afraid of sharing any type of pic on this site, there is such a diverse group here with a huge range of taste and styles, there will always be someone willing to share a thought on your work.
                        I think this is a stunning photograph. but I also like the fact you shared the thought behind it as well and why you went for that type of picture. It really is quite inspiring for us lesser mortals
                        hope to see some more!
                        David

EOS 1000D EFS18-55mm, EF 75-300mm, Kenko DG Extension Tubes

Please bare with me on replies to your comments as my work commitments keep me away from here during the week.
                        All of your comments and advice are gratefully received and appreciated though

Comment

Originally posted by Pinkeez View Post
                          thanks for sharing the tech stuff. I would never be afraid of sharing any type of pic on this site, there is such a diverse group here with a huge range of taste and styles, there will always be someone willing to share a thought on your work.
                          I think this is a stunning photograph. but I also like the fact you shared the thought behind it as well and why you went for that type of picture. It really is quite inspiring for us lesser mortals
                          hope to see some more!
                          Thanks David

Comment

Don't know how I missed this...

Someone apparently said that photography is painting with light.... I think they meant something like this. Eye pulling image.
                            Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                            Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
                            X