Walking the Dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walking the Dog

St. Bees on the west coast of Cumbria is as bleak a place as you can imagine, and yet people come to it for days out at the seaside. In its defence it's the start of the Coast to Coast walk, and the little cafe on the sea front sells delicious ice-cream.

350D + 15-55 f/2.8 IS @ 55mm, f8, 1/500 sec, ISO 200.

I cloned out the bloke's wife (oh, if everything in life were so easy) and second dog and moved him from the centre of the image to the left. Cropped to get sand, sea and sky in approx. thirds.

Better copped or uncropped? WDYT?

Regards,

Stuart
    Last edited by Stuart Rae; 28-09-2009, 21:12.
    Comment and Criticism welcome.
    Edits OK as long as they're not B&W conversions.

Re: Walking the Dog

Oh I do like to be beside the seaside...
    Oh I do like to be beside the sea...
    etc.

A typically bleak UK beach scene. Cropped is definately better IMO.
    I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
    Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

The composition looks good, but there is not enough detail to hold my interest.

Constructive criticism and comments greatly appreciated.

Comment

I don't know if its just me or not, (laptop monitor) but #1 looks different than #2. Not just the cropping, but in the first one I can see a halo, ghosting around the legs of the man. It doesn't appear to be as strong in #2 but I can still see it.

Comment

Thanks for looking chaps.

The composition looks good, but there is not enough detail to hold my interest.
          I went for the simple look on purpose, imagining that the image could be reduced to three horizontal brush strokes. It may or may not have worked :)
          In any case, it's difficult to get any foreground interest since the Forum inflatable rock went missing. I think Alex was the last one to borrow it........

.......but #1 looks different than #2. Not just the cropping.........
          Well spotted! Yes, they are different images. I didn't save the image before cropping so I went back to the original TIFF conversion and re-processed.
          The halo is my not-so-perfect cloning of the man onto the LHS. With a couple of stiff drinks to steady the hand and a bit more care it would have been better.

Regards,
          Stuart
          Comment and Criticism welcome.
          Edits OK as long as they're not B&W conversions.

Comment

Working...
          X