Trophy winners' photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trophy winners' photos

I was officiating at a bridge tournament at the weekend, and was asked with about 10 mins notice if I would take photos of the trophy winners as I had my camera with me, and no one else had anything better than a mobile phone or compact camera with built-in flash. This was in a large hotel room, moderately lit with fluorescent lights only.

I'd been taking pictures of the event without flash at high ISO (to avoid disturbing competitors), but decided it would be better to use a flashgun for these shots. I have a 7D camera, 430EX speedlite and 17-55 mm f/2.8 lens. I'm not used to taking these kind of pictures, nor really using flash at all.

I set it to Av so that I could use a moderately wide aperture of f/4 or so, ISO 400, angled the flash head and fixed a diffuser, and tried a test shot. The camera set a slow shutter speed (1/4 sec or so), thinking I wanted the background correctly exposed and just fill-in flash. I was expecting it to set the shutter to the sync speed of 1/60 - 1/250 sec.

I then tried Tv and P modes, so the shutter speed was < 1/60 sec, but it then set an aperture of f/2.8, which was wider than I wanted. I didn't trust myself to work out how to do it in manual mode quickly enough, so I went with these settings.

The photos were good enough, but I was frustrated that I didn't really feel in control, or get what I wanted. I later realised that there are three different flash settings in Av mode that are hidden deep within the custom function settings that would have given me what I wanted. I don't recall them even being mentioned in the EOS flash workshop I attended earlier in the year.

Wouldn't these settings be more usefully added to the quick menu? I can imagine wanting to switch between them quickly (now I know about them). Would I be better off using manual mode?
    Last edited by VixTD; 23-08-2012, 14:46.

Re: Trophy winners' photos

Hi VixTD and welcome to the forum.

I personally can't answer your question but as a new member I thought I'd welcome you.
    Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
    Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Hi VixTD - yep you need to set the custom function, that way the flash power output will automagically be adjusted to give the exposure you want - so you could happily have taken at 1/250 (or whatever the 7D sync speed is) and f8 if you wanted - using AV mode would have given you all the DoF control you needed! Assuming of course your flash is correctly configured!!! The best lessons are always learned in this way!

Comment

@ VixTD
        Wouldn't these settings be more usefully added to the quick menu?
        You can add this setting to the “my menu settings” so every time you press menu it’s on the list.

Trev

Comment

Originally posted by Trevoreast View Post
          @ VixTD

You can add this setting to the “my menu settings” so every time you press menu it’s on the list.

Trev
          I'm considering that, it's just that something else will have to go to make way for it. I was wondering whether it would be easier just to work in manual mode.

What does everyone else do?

Comment

I'm considering that, it's just that something else will have to go to make way for it.
            Yes, if you don’t need quick access all the time it would be a shame to use up one of the 6 slots allowed.

I would use manual - with the flash in this situation, I find it's easier..
            Are you able to post any of your shots with EXIF so we can get a better understanding of the conditions ?

Trev

Comment

I've been away, so sorry for taking so long to reply.

As I said, the photos were fine. I have no idea how to post them here, nor what "EXIF" is.

I had a vague recollection of being told in the flash workshop that manual mode was for "balanced flash" rather than "fill-in flash", and suited to strongly backlit subjects, so I shied away from using it, but thinking about it later, I couldn't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

Comment

Working...
              X