Soft box diffuser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soft box diffuser

Just looking for a bit of advice guys, I currently use the stofen type diffuser but I'm interested in purchasing one of those large soft box diffusers that fit on the flash.

Do they spread the light?

What's the advantage of them?

I'm doing a lot of event photography at corporate do's and the boss asked me if I had one of those large diffusers for my flash gun, I've looked into it and you can pick them up cheap enough but do I need one?
    Mike

Canon 1D MKIV, Canon 7D, Canon EF300 F2.8, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS Mk II, Canon 17-55 IS, Canon EF100 F2.8, Canon 1.4 TC MKIII, 580 ex flashgun - yongnuo yn-565ex

www.MGSportsImages.co.uk

Re: Soft box diffuser

Just got one off ebay (Pixco). Its pretty rudimentary, but does the job and only cost £1.50 from China. Used on my Nutty pics, posted in the birds section - seems to work. It isnt so large thats its very cumbersome. Hope that helps

Comment

That's exactly the thing Robin, great shots by the way! What's the advantage of it then? Softens the light or extends the flash range?
      Mike

Canon 1D MKIV, Canon 7D, Canon EF300 F2.8, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS Mk II, Canon 17-55 IS, Canon EF100 F2.8, Canon 1.4 TC MKIII, 580 ex flashgun - yongnuo yn-565ex

www.MGSportsImages.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by bexman View Post
        That's exactly the thing Robin, great shots by the way! What's the advantage of it then? Softens the light or extends the flash range?
        Softens and makes it a lot less harsh, but do have a very powerful flash unit! To be honest, I shot a lots of pics with nothing in them (just the log) just to test the settings etc, and see what happens. I find flash all a bit hit and miss, cos Im no expert-just learning. There are guys here (MUscat) who really know what they are doing. Just practice on some objects outside with various settings and look at the results.
        Robin

Comment

Thanks will do, flash is the same for, trial and error!
          Mike

www.MGSportsImages.co.uk

Comment

Syl Arena's Book will asnwer your questions and a lot more - did for me anyway

think I got mine from amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Speedliters-...9730317&sr=1-3

£16.99 - think I paid £18.99 and felt it was well worth it

Ian
            EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Comment

thanks Ian, that's exactly what I've been looking for! I'll order that today.
              Mike

www.MGSportsImages.co.uk

Comment

Anything that softens the light from a flash, also limits the distance, so you need to balance one against the other. I use the Stofen for most things and the Lastolite EzyBox Speed-Lite for very soft light.

Best advice is to get the flash away from the camera, for much more natural light.

Colin
                Colin

Comment

I also have one of those soft boxes. How does one increase the power of the flash gun. I use an Canon 430EX gun. Would you advice me in getting a more powerful flash gun as I seem to be doing a bit more flash photography than before mostly covering events and not studio type photos. Using an off the camera flash or slave unit is not practical for quick events sort of photos I am called upon to do.

Thanks
                  Nat
                  Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Nat..Stick your flash on an arm with cable attached and use a difusser

Comment

Thanks Rob. I will try it. Regarding the arm are you suggesting the "straight" flat arm or the "L" shaped arm where the flash is higher than the camera? I have got both.
                      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                        Thanks Rob. I will try it. Regarding the arm are you suggesting the "straight" flat arm or the "L" shaped arm where the flash is higher than the camera? I have got both.
                        I would have thought both would do the trick

Comment

Thanks Rob. I will try it out.

Comment

Thanks for the advice gents, I have the book 'speedlighters handbook' now thanks to mrs bex and I'm slowly learning the basics :-)
                            Mike

www.MGSportsImages.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                            X