What am I doing wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What am I doing wrong?

Having decided to venture a bit deeper into flash photography, than simply mounting the flash on the 'hot shoe', and bouncing it off the ceiling for basic family portraits. Albeit, I have had some very acceptable results, at least to my subjective assessment, I set off along the following route.

I sold my single EX420 Speedlite, and bought two new 430EX ll Speedlites (saving £80 with Canon's cash back deal ).

I then bought three Yongnuo YN-622c wireless (RF) flash triggers, so that I can operate both flash guns off camera, then added a couple of Stop-Fen diffusers.

So, there I am all set to venture into the world of off-camera flash, and hopefully a bit of creativity.

Having done a bit of reading, I followed the advice and set each flash, off to side of the subject, and at 45 degrees to it.

To keep things simple, I set both flashes to the same channel, and under E-TTL control.

A few test flashes (no subject) showed that the camera was 'talking' to the remote flash guns, and that the on camera flash exposure compensation was correctly relayed to the flash guns.

Subject (the wife) placed in position (in front of a plain wall) for a head and shoulders shot.

Firstly both flashes pointed at the subject from a 45 degree angle, and a Sto-Fen diffuser fitted to each flash.

Result = exposure looked good, but a very strong shadow on the background, either side of the subject. One from the left hand flash, and one from the right hand flash.

Next: both flashes angled at the ceiling, with diffusers still fitted.

Result = exposure looked good, but the same shadow problem, albeit to a lesser degree. Thus indicating that although the flash guns were angled to bounce off the ceiling, the diffusers were spraying out light from their sides.

Next: the same as the previous shot, but with the diffusers removed.

Result = exposure looked good, no shadows, and a very acceptable result.

Now unless I'm not following the law of physics here, there must be shadow cast off to the side of the subject.

If I took away the flashes, and say replaced them with a couple of studio lights, positioned at the same 45 degree angle to the subject, then there would still be a shadow cast either side of the subject.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave_S; 26-01-2014, 17:17. Reason: typo
    Dave

Re: What am I doing wrong?

Dave
    A couple of pointers to start with before other offerings come your way - (am hoping that I am not teaching you to suck eggs!)
    1 - if the heads of the guns were higher than the head of the subject, the shadows will start to be hidden by the subject
    2 - put some space between the subject and the wall - again providing space for the shadows to drop lower down.

David

Comment

'Suck eggs'?, not all David, all advice is gratefully received.

The guns were at the subject's head level, as they were both mounted on standard camera tripods, being as that is all I have.

The subject was stood about 18" away from the wall.

So, I think your first suggestion is probably valid here. The subject was standing, and although I can't place the guns higher (unless I splashed out on a couple of tall light stands), I could lower the subject into a sitting position, as opposed to standing.

I'll have a play with that approach.

Thanks

Dave
      Dave

Comment

David is spot on with his advice:

• The more separation between subject and background, the less shadow.
        • The higher the flash, the more the shadow is hidden by the subject.

One thought on the Stofen diffusers; they work best when they are not pointed directly at the subject, but angled higher. Halfway between pointing at the ceiling and the subject seems to be best, but optimum results depend on subject distance etc. I seem to recall the Stofen literature mentioning 70 degrees, but I was never quite sure where they were measuring it from, so by experimentation, the above seemed to work well enough for me.

Have the subject a metre away from the background, Speedlights a couple of feet (60cm) above the subject and Stofens pointing higher and you should get the results you were hoping for.

Then you can experiment with having the second flash at head height and drop the power by 1.5 to 2 stops, to obtain much more natural modelling light.

Flash is quite an adventure.
        Colin

Comment

I'm about to start the same process. So far, the more I've read, the less I seem to know.
          Canon EOS7D mkII+BG-E16, Canon EOS 7D+BG-E7, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Tamron Di-II 17-50 f2.8, Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS, Canon EF 70-200 f/4L, Sigma 30mm f1.4 DC HSM 'Art', Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, Sigma 1.4x DG, Canon Speedlight 430EX II (x2)

Comment

Thanks Colin.

Listening to what you and David have said, it does make perfectly good sense, and is in fact completely logical, and in-line with the laws of physics

Sometimes the obvious is overlooked, when unnecessarily looking for a more complex answer.

There is no doubt that lighting for photography is a subject on its own, and a skill that has to be learnt. What better way to do so, than by experimentation and trying to understand why things aren't looking right.

This supported by having a place like this forum where you can ask questions, and get answers.

Thanks guys.

Dave
            Dave

Comment

Have just ordered a couple of 'cheapo' 2m lighting stands from e-bay. £21 the pair inc delivery.

'Chinese Cheapo' is probably an apt description, but hopefully good enough to play around with indoors.

Dave
              Dave

Comment

Have just ordered a couple of 'cheapo' 2m lighting stands
                Sounds just the job and for indoor use, they don't have to contend with any wind ................. unless you have been eating a lot of beans?
                Colin

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                  Sounds just the job and for indoor use, they don't have to contend with any wind ................. unless you have been eating a lot of beans?
                  Hmm!!, that could be a problem Colin.

Dave
                  Dave

Comment

Originally posted by colin C View Post
                    [ Canon 1DX ] [ 70-200 f2.8 L is II ] [ 300 f4 L is usm ] [ 50 mm f1.8 II ] [ 24-105 f4 L is ] [ Speedlite 430 ] [Yongnuo 568 ex II flash ] [ Yongnuo flash triggers ] [ Cokin P filters] [ Giottos Silk Road GYTL8384 carbon tripod ] [ Photoshop CS5 ] ... Wish list Canon EF 500 mm f/4 L IS USM.

Some nice gear, but not much idea ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/123175589@N03/

Comment

The lighting stands arrived today, and I have to say that for £21 inc delivery, I'm quite impressed.

Fairly lightweight, complete with a carry bag that holds both stands, but in separate sleeves.

A good spread on the legs, which lock firmly into position both in the extended and folded away positions.

Height adjustable from 80cm to 2m, with a standard 1/4" UNC threaded stud on the top.

More than adequate for a flash gun, larger off-camera flash unit, and a small to medium soft box. Probably not suitable for a large soft box.

All-in-all a bargain buy I reckon, as I could buy the materials and make them for that price.

Dave
                      Dave

Comment

Working...
                      X