Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Child Portraits

Hi Guys

I have been asked if I will take some portraits of a work colleagues grandson, and some family portraits while I am there. going to be going to their home so the little chappie feels more at ease, he's only five months old or so. The daughter has a good size living room (25ft or so), so space shouldn't be an issue. I have a basic light kit of an Apollo 180 light, which has a white brolly and silver/gold reflector as well as a Nissin flash gun. I also have white and black background material and a green tutonic background, a tripod and softbox sleeve for the Nissin.

Any tips on basic set ups, iso, light positions. do the reflectors help, or is the child likely to go for it as a bright new toy? Are there any definite do's or don'ts?
    David

EOS 1000D EFS18-55mm, EF 75-300mm, Kenko DG Extension Tubes

Please bare with me on replies to your comments as my work commitments keep me away from here during the week.
    All of your comments and advice are gratefully received and appreciated though

Re: Child Portraits

Use as much natural light as possible

Use 100/200 iso

Keep as far away from the background as possible so that it is OOF

Bounce the Nissin from the ceiling as this is the best softbox

Brian
    ef-r

Comment

Hi David

I'm not an expert, so will not comment on the technical side... however...

I would recommend changing location or position several times, and changing the child's outfit / hat etc. This will ensure the results are quite mixed and not all looking the same! Recently saw the results from another shoot (family member), looked good with different hats / colour and B&W shots, different places and props (on floor / sofa / wrapped in towel etc.)!

Hope that helps. All the best, Mike.
      flickr
      5D4 : 7D2 : 16-35 f4 L : 24-105 II L : 70-200 f2.8 L : 100-400 II L : Macro 100 f2.8 L : Manfrotto CX055 Pro3

Comment

Also take some shots of child and mum together first - not necessarily to use - so Mum does not have to worry about her appearance (unless she wants to of course) but might put baby at ease and get used to lights and flashes etc - plus get Mum to interact with baby, and slowly put more distance between them so you can zoom in on baby while baby's focus is on mum - you might get some really nice expressions and candid portraits that way

Ian
        Last edited by celtex; 02-06-2011, 07:50.
        EOS 600d, ef 18-55 is kit lens, 50 mm 1.8 mkii, Tamron 70-300, 430EXii

Comment

Thanks guys, much appreciated. they are very happy for me to use them as an "experiment"/ "experience" and I can have whatever ones I like for my portfolio, so I will share them with you as well once I have taken them.

thanks for the feedback guys.
          David

EOS 1000D EFS18-55mm, EF 75-300mm, Kenko DG Extension Tubes

Please bare with me on replies to your comments as my work commitments keep me away from here during the week.
          All of your comments and advice are gratefully received and appreciated though

Comment

Working...
          X