The Stations of the Cross, near the Hermitage de Santa Eulalia, Spain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Stations of the Cross, near the Hermitage de Santa Eulalia, Spain

At the top of the hill (see "Panoramas" section) is a statue of Christ. The day was getting more gloomy by the minute and rain was coming on, so I have lightened the statue in the image below to emphasize the contrast with the sky.

Shining like a beacon by John Liddle, on Flickr
    Last edited by John Liddle; 14-06-2016, 13:47. Reason: Slightly sharpened version uploaded
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Re: The Stations of the Cross, near the Hermitage de Santa Eulalia, Spain

mmmm sorry John its not really working for me, the path leads you in but the subject is so small - if the image will take it maybe a heavy crop
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I like this lots. -in particular the striking brightness of Christ against the deep grey.
      Like Tigger I'd suggest a crop but I'm going for a bit of bottom, left and right . Keep the path coming in from on the line of bottom LHS corner but not as big a crop as perhaps my esteemed colleague is suggesting.
      Definitely worth a fiddle as I think there's a super pic in there
      Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Ian & Barbara - thank you for looking and for your helpful comments - is this better?

Shining like a beacon (Crop) by John Liddle, on Flickr
        John Liddle

Comment

I think the image with the crop is very nice. Lovely picture.
          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Thank you Nathaniel
            John Liddle

Comment

Love the crop shot one John

Comment

crop works much better - nice
                :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Cropped version much stronger.
                  Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

The cropped version is much better.

Tom

Comment

Personally I'd have gone for not such a drastic crop on the sides, keeping the whole tree in on the right, but there is no doubt that you have improved matters and others are giving a big thumbs up to your efforts.

Well done on squeezing a bit more out of what was for me a good image from the start

Comment

Thanks to Dave, Ian, Anthony, Tom & Barbara for looking and the encouraging comments
                        John Liddle

Comment

Originally posted by lunarbo View Post
                          Personally I'd have gone for not such a drastic crop on the sides, keeping the whole tree in on the right
                          I think you have something there Barbara, so here it is

Shining like a beacon (Wider Crop) by John Liddle, on Flickr
                          John Liddle

Comment

Well personally I think you've nailed it with the cropping now & the statue has its due prominence

Seems a bit darker than before,was this deliberate?

Comment

First crop for me. With all the right hand tree left in there's a competition for the focal point of the composition. With the tree cropped it provides a strong counterbalance to the cropped tree at the left and creates a frame for the statue.

Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Working...
                              X