Kitty Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kitty Hawk

This is the mound on the outer banks off of North Carolina where Wilbur & Orville Wright flew into the history books. This monument was completed in 1932, costing $213,000. The structure contains 1,200 tons of granite, 2,000 tons of gravel and 800 tons of sand to create it's base.

A pretty impressive structure. That is my wife looking at it.

EOS-M w/EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
    1/2500 sec @ f/3.2, ISO 100

Comments Welcomed

Tom

Re: Kitty Hawk

I'm liking that Tom,Good sense of scale with the figure and a great sky.

Paul
    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Thanks Paul

Comment

That is a big monument, it must almost be as big as their first flight was long. Your wife certainly adds scale which I think, is important in this case. Thanks for the facts and figures which are always welcome

Comment

Interesting monument. Wonder what equiv current value of the build cost is.
          Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Thanks Ian and your welcome.

Comment

what a splendid monument.

As with a lot of history I see some are questioning if the Wright brothers were the first!! What next ... the Eagle didn't land

Comment

Very nice. I like the perception of size between your wife and the top of the building. It must be huge.
                Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Thanks MX5 and Nat.

Comment

Nice image, like the scale too.

Unlike us Brits, at least you Americans keep your memorials. "Our" equivalent of your Kitty Hawk, Cody's Tree, is no longer where it stood. No longer is it a tree. No longer is it a memorial. No longer does it mark the spot where our first flight happened.
                    Thanks for showing us not only Kitty Hawk, but for showing that the past does matter.
                    I'm the first to rush to help people, yet it's not okay to respond to a misinformed remark. You don't deserve my custom, patronage or help, so taking it elsewhere.

Comment

Good shot and as others have said, with excellent perception of scale.

Doug.
                      Cameras... 7D, 350D
                      Lens...Canon 17-40 f4, Sigma 70-200 f2.8, Tamron 28-300 f3.5, Canon 18-55 f3.5

Flash...600EX-RT

Montana 5 flickr
                      Montana 5 Car-tography

Comment

Thanks Nick & Doug

Tom

Comment

Tom, Raj
                          Raj
                          Flickr

Comment

Thanks Raj

Comment

Excellent shot Tom, I really like these sort of things, as others have said it is hugely important to remember what happened in History.

Regards Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X