Grange-over-Sands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grange-over-Sands

Yesterday led 9 on a 10.8 miler from Grange to Cartmel and back to Grange on a splendid day ... sunny and freezing. The temperture ensured the muddy places were more or less solid. But also meant we couldn't stop for all but the briefest moments (even with full winter technical gear on).

1. Started near Grange station ... the frost gives a clue to what the days temperature will be.

For people with a interest in railways there are many signs of the original owner ... The Furness Railway Company.

2. Hampsfield Fell Hospice at 720'

The Greek means 'Rosy Fingered Dawn' (readers of Homer, not that one, please take note). There is even a coal fire (not lit) inside this travellers rest. A fair number of folk about ... hence this being the only shot I could manage.

3. Old enamel sign on entry to Cartmel

4. Cartmel Priory

5. This sign amused

6. One of four starts (or ends) to crossing the bay

This taken from Kents Bank facing south. Cedric Robinson, The Queen's Guide to the Sands (royally appointed guide to crossing the sands of Morecambe Bay) lives nearby at the 700-year-old Guide's Cottage which is owned by the Crown.

As usual my 40D plus 17-40L.

Please report any narrative or technical blunders.

As usual thanks for stopping by and looking ... it's appreciated.
    Last edited by MX5; 16-01-2012, 10:43.

Re: Grange-over-Sands

Must be the Monday morning fix.
    I feel better already, thanks again for sharing.
    Shame about the tree in front of the priory.

Comment

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS2 View Post
      Must be the Monday morning fix.
      I feel better already, thanks again for sharing.
      Shame about the tree in front of the priory.
      Thanks ... I carry many things in my back pack (which is why it weighs 20kg) ... but not a chain saw to remove folliage ;-)

Comment

Thanks for sharing MX5. A very nice set as usual.
        Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

My wife and I used to spend some weekends at a place called Laneside Farm on Kirkhead Rd, Grange over Sands. Sadly they no longer rent the house out, but it's very nice to see some photos of places that we've visited.
          Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
          http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
          https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Andy - yes Grange is still very nice ... they just need to do something with the wreck of the lido. The 'Danger of death' signs really doesn't do Grange any favours. I've stayed near Cartmel in a very nice B&B in the sticks. In fact it was a place I walked past ... so made a note to plan a stay.

Nat - thanks (as always).

Comment

Love the old enamel sign and the panorama shot. I spent the cold frosty weekend in doors. Thank you for the monday fix
              Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
              Di's Flickr

Comment

Thanx MX for posting. I always enjoy them and your narative. May I ask if you use a polarising filter? cos. Im sure it would make the skies a lot more interesting - just a thought

Comment

Originally posted by hhcanon View Post
                  Thanx MX for posting. I always enjoy them and your narative. May I ask if you use a polarising filter? cos. Im sure it would make the skies a lot more interesting - just a thought
                  I only use a Protect filter on the 17-40L (makes it weatherproof) ... actually I'm on the third due to damage of the first two. I quite often need a PL or Graduated-ND but rambling doesn't lend itself to changing filters (or even lenses) ... especially when I'm leading, navigating, map reading, keeping the group safe, etc.

Di/hhcanon - thanks for looking.

Comment

Missed my Monday morning fixes over the past four weeks.....

Do like the sign.... wonder if they did any work in Egypt preserving the the kings and queens??

David
                    David

Comment

Nice set as usual, really like the Panorama shot, nicely done, it was cold over week end, I stayed indoors making my annual batch of marmalade,

Ray

Comment

Working...
                      X