Summit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summit

I was going to call this Hollingworth Lake ... but didn't have time to take any photographs of said lake. Now let me explain. When this walk was planned it was going to be 12.7 miles, but on the day the chap leading decided to add a bit at the north. So it became 15.8 miles and we arrived back at the coach spot on departure time.

1. Signpost

2. Field of Dreams

Animal (mainly horse) retirement home

3. Todmordon

Shame about the power lines. Guess I could with time clone them out.

4. Crossing Water

Aside from reservoirs (which are used to fill the canal) there were lots of rivers where man had been involved. Think this one is what they call a leat.

5. West Summit Lock on The Rochdale Canal (that's the one that ends in Manchester and flows under Piccadilly)

The Rochdale is the highest broad canal in the UK ... and this lock is the highest lock on the canal (600' amsl). The last part of our walk started at Lock 24 and finished at Lock 44 ... that's a lot of locks in just 4 miles. We also passed the geological centre line of England, thats the point where to the east the water flows to the North Sea and to the west flows to the Irish Sea.

6. Church (Walsden I think)

So a splendid day ... first time this year I consigned my outer jacket to the backpack.

40D plus 17-40L as usual.

Feel free to point out technical and narrative blunders and thanks for stopping by.
    Last edited by MX5; 12-03-2012, 20:47.

Re: Summit

The Monday morning fix, a delight to see.

Comment

MX5 - Another great set from your Sunday ramble (more like a marathon). I like them all.

Thanks again for sharing.

Ian
      EOS600D, 17-40mm L, 70-300mm IS, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mm STM, Powershot S95, 12 extension tube, Speedlight 380 EX.

Comment

Yes my Monday can now start.....

These are great shots and as for the power lines... well they were there and what you are showing is is what you saw at the time.

15 miles is a three day hike not a walk! ! ! ! ! a walk is when I head of to my local, which is in fact four houses away....

David
        David

Comment

Thanks Stephen, Ian and David.

David -you are right and apart from a tactical crop I don't usually clone out things. The powerlines (and the radio mast) are well know reference features so I left 'em in.

It was the additional 0.5 mile I have to walk from where the coach drops me off to home that can be hardest ... so factoring in home to coach and back ... that's 16.8 miles yesterday. But recovery time is very short because I do this so often.

Comment

A really nice set of pictures. I just wonder how your feet are coping?
            Cheers
            Treff

Comment

My weekly fix as usual. I like them all with #2,#3,&#4 equally favourites. Perhaps #2 has the edge as it is view from the "top"! Thanks for sharing.
              As an aside, am I right in saying that the last one- the church is a bet askew or is it my monitor? Also what is the secret of your "energy"?
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Treff View Post
                A really nice set of pictures. I just wonder how your feet are coping?
                Cheers
                Treff
                Thanks ... just sore heals ... that's a problem I've had for a few months but getting better I think since I installed fresh Orthotics (technical insoles) in my winter boots a few ago. Such walks only impact existing conditions and don't leave you knackered. Miss a week or two and you have to get the mojo back again ... but a couple of walks is all it takes.

Now thye seasons are changing ... spring had sprung on Sunday ... we can start doing higher level walks more often.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                  My weekly fix as usual. I like them all with #2,#3,&#4 equally favourites. Perhaps #2 has the edge as it is view from the "top"! Thanks for sharing.
                  As an aside, am I right in saying that the last one- the church is a bet askew or is it my monitor? Also what is the secret of your "energy"?
                  I tried fixing the geometry ... I don't normall get distortions from the 17-40L ... but I agree it still looks distorted. In the original the building were aligned correctly but the spire had a skew. Attempting to fix that has caused problems elsewhere. So it's not your Monitor Nat it's me. I shall if I've time try using DPP (rather than Photoshop) to correct lens distortions.

Comment

I really look forward to seeing your shots on a mon morning, another nice batch.
                    Col

Comment

Thanks katokid.

Just remembered I forgot the route ...

Comment

I think the loch shot is my fave. Monday morning fix.
                        Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                        Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
                        X