Langdale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Langdale

My primary objective of this walk I was leading was Stickle Tarn ... which was achieved. But any thoughts of going high (Pavey Ark et al) were put away as the weather was horrid. Cloud base was 2000', rain & wind from 1000' and quite cool at times. I had 6 in tow and three of them managed to fall (none hurt bar pride) ... so it was too dangerous scrambling on wet rocks. A hard 8 miler all in all.

1. This is the view of the Stickle Ghyll as you start. Quite well graded and a couple of minor scrambles. Easy enough as families do it ...

(Yes I know, raindrops keep falling on my lens as the song sort of went)

2. Looking back down to the valley and Lingmoor Fell

The bit of water on the top left edge is Windermere.

3. Stickle Tarn (with Pavey in clag behind)

4. Playful lambs

The two black lambs were doing four leg 'spring' jumps.

5. Oxendale Valley

Looking across at the Pike of Blisco. Near here is the Wrynose Pass ... one of those real drivers roads.

6. The route. Anticlockwise to the tarn, then down the valley and back again.

So that's it ... weather prevented any stunning photography. As usual my 40D and 17-40L (good job its weatherproof).

Feel free to complain that we have rain and water and also about any technical or narrative blunders.

Thanks for passing by.

Re: Langdale

Another cracking set. Looks very rugged and beautiful country. Thanks for showing,
    Cheers
    Treff

Comment

Another great set , thank you for sharing.

Comment

Even on a less than perfect day the scenery looks great.

Thanks for sharing another top selection.

Ian
        EOS600D, 17-40mm L, 70-300mm IS, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mm STM, Powershot S95, 12 extension tube, Speedlight 380 EX.

Comment

That's one of our favourite parts of the Lake District, fantastic!

For anyone that hasn't seen it in the flesh, here's a snippet of Langdale in a video we took a while ago. (Hope it's ok me posting this).
          Canon EOS 5D Mark III, EF 135mm F/2 L, EF 16-35mm F/4 L, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 28mm f/2.8
          http://www.aveyardphotography.co.uk
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/aveyardphotography
          https://www.facebook.com/AveyardPhotography

Comment

Thanks for the Monday fix, looking at the rain on the images it looks and sounds quite hard going, must be nice in good weather

Comment

Thanks everyone. Langdale is quite stunning regardless of the weather ...

It was hard going at times. They story goes that when the path (the downward one we took) was installed the designer wanted native rock for it (no bad thing) ... but slopped the slabs at the same angle of the hills natural slope (ermmmmm not a good idea) ... I actually prefer steps in a more traditional 'step' configuration

Comment

Considering the elements I think the images are really good, glad no one was hurt in the falls, how bad does the weather have to be to cancel the walk.

Ray

Comment

Cracking video AndyA thanks for sharing. I know where our next few days away is going to be.
                  Cheers
                  Treff

Comment

Treff .... you might like here ODG Hotel.

Comment

I like #1 & #3 the best- although I like them all. You are doing the Lake district "proud"!
                      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Nat - thanks. I feel it's the stunning countryside we have that contributes 80% to my images ... I just press the button.

Comment

I know that the Lake District is one of the most beautiful places in UK but it is the photographer who has to capture the beauty on to his photograph. So well done and keep on sharing your pics. I am getting interested in landscape photography by seeing all your images over time.
                          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Monday fix!

Spent the complete bank holiday weekend in. (Viral illness kicked off asthma.) Can't help thinking that the bad weather was a blessing, then see the moody harshness of your rock scrambles.

Can see the steepness of the terrain in number two. Looks frightening, wouldn't want to come a cropper there.
                            Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                            Di's Flickr

Comment

Thanks Di - hope your are recovering. I know a few folk who have been hit by a viral illness ... short liuved but very nasty.

I tend to go up scrambles on all fours ... well my backpack weighs 20kg ... and I've often a DSLR swinging around my neck. When it gets more involved I'll put the camera in the backpack. The route in #2 is well paved with just the odd outcrop of rock which requires a short scramble. In fact very few of the 'paving' stones were slippy in the wet ... but it only takes one ... so you have to concentrate.

Comment

Working...
                              X