Uppermill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uppermill

Well what a day, worst weather I can recall walking in. Fortunately I wasn't leading. It was wit & wendy - rain was horizontal with hail and hurt - wind was Force 7 gusting 9. Big waves on reservoirs. And 1 or 2C. Plenty of mud glorious mud. Two ladies gave up at the highest point (1195’) and retired to an old pub (Royal Oak, Heights) which has two real fires. Weather like this affects people’s temperaments so it was decided to cut things short, but to my surprise we had still done nearly 9 miles. Its days like that when you realise technical clothing is worth every penny.

Anyway just a couple of photos … it was even too bad for my u8000. I didn’t want to disappoint so here’s all that I managed to take.

1. Delph Station (now a private house)

The station closed in 1955 when the Delph Donkey passenger train service from Oldham to Delph via Greenfield was withdrawn.

2. Heights Church (St. Thomas)

3. Walking in the rain

4. The route (Clockwise)

Taken with trusty 40D plus 17-40L.

Feel free to report any technical or narrative errors.

PS: Had a warm welcome and some very nice coffee at No.73 Delicatessen on the High Street.

Re: Uppermill

What dedication! I am surprised you even went walking, let alone get your camera out.
    It seems nothing will stand in the way of our Monday fix.

Thanks

Ian
    EOS600D, 17-40mm L, 70-300mm IS, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mm STM, Powershot S95, 12 extension tube, Speedlight 380 EX.

Comment

Monday fix time agian, many thanks for the dedication to the service MX. As Ian has siad it does seem that nothing will stop you, long may it last.

I bet that old station has made a lovely private house, but I am a bit worried as there apears to be a small animal carrier on the ground next to a pushchair and possble sand bags on the chain. Is the weather really that bad

Comment

Nice pictures again. The weather here been atrocious rain and blowing a gale also very cold. Thanks for sharing.
        I would also like to pick your brain. What's the best for re-waterproofing anorak, can I buy some sort of spray?
        Cheers
        Treff

Comment

Originally posted by Treff View Post
          What's the best for re-waterproofing anorak, can I buy some sort of spray?
          I machine wash my outer wear in Nikwax Tech Wash. To reproof I machine 'wash' using Nikwax TX.Direct (about every five washes).

Everyone - thanks for feedback. When the wind is so powerful you are getting blown about you know its time to head to the cafe ;-)

Muscat - Yes it looked the bees knees. It's a pity none of the four station masters houses I've lived in are still standing.

It is very wet around Saddleworth Moor and that part of the Pennines suffers badly in winter. A local commented yesterday that we had chosen a grand day to be out walking. Even the (fresh) lambs in the fields had plastic macs on (honest!).

Comment

Upper Mill,Saddleworth!!! I remember the area very well + the Moors of course. Very nice pics despite the atrocious weather. I'd certainly have joined the ladies in front of the fire if I was one of the "walkers". I like #3 the best as it captures the weather and rain very nicely.
            Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Rather you than me on days like that.
              You done very well and I applaud that dedication.
              Let's hope that next weekend is kinder for you.
              Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
              I like #3 the best as it captures the weather and rain very nicely.
              I must agree on that. Well done.

Comment

shudders at the idea of been out in "that" I stick with my feet infront of the fire (coal) and my kindle.

I like the church it has a lonely desolate look to it.
                Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                Di's Flickr

Comment

Youre a braver man than me thats for sure - thankx for posting these up

Comment

MX5, one thing that comes across strongly is the magnificient 40d & the 17-40mm lens. You are a good advert for that equipment.
                    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

You must be well motivated, bit of a fair weather man myself, well done the images really portray the bad weather.

Ray

Comment

New to forum but didn't expect to see images from very close to where I live. Shame you got some really bad weather Saddleworth is a great place especially when the weather is better than you had.
                        Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Thanks antoeknee (and belated thanks to Ray) - it was seriously bad weather but we will try and get back thereabouts next year.

Comment

Working...
                          X