Glenridding & Langdale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glenridding & Langdale

Busy weekend. Saturday was a reccee at Glenridding. Just me doing St Sunday Crag (2759') ... Grisedale Tarn circular (10 miles) on a perfect day. Sunday was Langdale. Being led to very close to Bow Fell (2959') and back on a day most windy. Wind was so strong people got blown over and at one point we had to briefly get down on the ground the wind was so strong. I'd say Force 9 or even 10. So camera remained in bag for half the day, also a deal of route was on ground that required more concentration than normal. On the way up our leaders knees went and so he took a short cut and I took over ... curtailing the original plan which had included Angle Tarn.

1. Saturday - Classic View of Ulswater

2. Saturday - The Ridge I had walked earlier that day

3. Saturday - Grisedale Tarn

This is legendary resting place of the crown of the kingdom of Cumbria, after the crown was thrown in by soldiers of the King Dunmail (in 945).

4. Saturday - Rust never sleeps

This caught my eye.

5. Sunday - The way up to Bow Fell

Not looking good and we are only in Oxendale Valley

6. Sunday - The Valley behind

Saturday - G10
    Sunday - 40D plus 17-40L

Feel free to report any technical or narrative blunders.

Thanks for looking

Re: Glenridding & Langdale

Saturdays Route (Clockwise)

Sundays route (Clockwise)

Comment

Good set, but the first is a peach, classic view, superbly taken, it ticks all the right boxes for me.
      Concentrate on equipment and you'll take technically good photographs. Concentrate on seeing the light's magic colours and your images will stir the soul. - Jack Dykinga
      Light makes photography. Embrace light. Admire it. Love it. But above all, know light. Know it for all you are worth, and you will know the key to photography- George Eastman

Comment

Thanks for the Monday fix, fabulous scenery. Sounds as if you had your hands full this weekend, I hope the leader has recovered.

My favourites are the first and last images. These are lovely pictures and I feel that they may be even better if you were to increase the contrast just a shade to really make them pop as they are a little flat on my monitor. Keep them coming.

Comment

I think these are up there in your top shots.

Gotta agree with Les, #1 is spot on, great shot

David
          David

Comment

Number one is my favourite - a real gem.

Thanks again for sharing.

Ian
            EOS600D, 17-40mm L, 70-300mm IS, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mm STM, Powershot S95, 12 extension tube, Speedlight 380 EX.

Comment

That 1st shot is #1. Well done.

Tom

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'll try fettling with #1 to see if I can give it some bite. Goes to show if the light is right .... a G series can deliver!

The SAR Sea Kings [British build version of Sikorsky S-61] were busy both Saturday & Sunday. Sundays rescue which we observed as we walked back took the local (Langdale) Mountain Rescue Team 4 man hours was to rescue a lady blown off her feet, falling 30 feet, and sustaining back injuries. It always concentrates the mind when you see the Yellow chopper active. The wind was something else on Sunday.
                Last edited by MX5; 14-05-2012, 14:22. Reason: My Bad Speeling (sic)

Comment

Great stuff as usual...#1 could be a postcard

Comment

Lovely set again,that first image has such a terrific view, i feel its me standing there looking down over the valleys- breathtaking.

Paul
                    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Nice ones as usual but I liked #1 & #3 the best- reminded me of the Rockies in Canada!!!!
                      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Paul and Nat - thanks.

As I climbed (I started next to the lake) I could see the view opening up (I for one stop and look behind) and just knew something special was in the offing. Must be 30 years since I'd last been up St Sunday Crag.

Comment

Agree about number one, could be a post card. I'd buy it, because I'd never make the walk up there, thats for sure.
                          Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                          Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
                          X