Grasmere - Gibson Knott

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grasmere - Gibson Knott

This should have been a fairy straightforward and not particularly hard 8 mile ramble. Fortunately I wasn't leading but did have to intervene a few times as things got silly. My first ramble that I was late for the coach (30mins) ... fortunately it waits although the 40 others on the coach are not best pleased with our leader (and I get a cheer for my bit in 'saving the day'). |Main problem it rained all day and had been raining a lot so paths became streams, streams ragging torrents and not fordable. Eventually we had get wet and walked about 20m hanging onto a wall at a bend in the stream ... the water here wasn't moving although a foot deep. [Walking in water in the fells (or anywhere) needs a risk assessment - don't think a couple of inches of moving water is safe!!). Nearly everyone fell (not me) and one lady strained her ankle ... coming of the fells in the dark is stupid and everyone told the leader so!!!

Managed to salvage a few photos ..

1. Stream State from Helm Crag

The broad one is Sourmilk Gill (coming from Easedale Tarn)
    f/4.5 1/60 ISO-100

2. Foreboding Sky

f/2.8 1/320 ISO-100

3. Easdale Tarn

f/2.8 1/320 ISO-100

4. The Route

Okay, no prizes for them. Just a record of some of the day taken with my G10 (showing it doesn't like bad light).

Feel free to report narrative or technical errors.

Thanks for stopping by.
    Last edited by MX5; 29-10-2012, 13:33.

Re: Grasmere - Gibson Knott

Not you usual ones. I like #3 out of this set. So you got tired carrying your 40d + 17-40mm?
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
      Not you usual ones. I like #3 out of this set. So you got tired carrying your 40d + 17-40mm?
      I knew it was going to be very wet - so took the G10 instead. I know not up to normal 'technical' standard ... but these grab shots were all I dare risk taking. The whole day was fraught along the wet stones and coming off the fells in the dark. Many rules broken ... those I led off were just thankful I was there.

Comment

It sounds like a very trying day in the hills, so full marks for even attempting to get pictures. I thought this didn't look like the 17-40.

Ian
        EOS600D, 17-40mm L, 70-300mm IS, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mm STM, Powershot S95, 12 extension tube, Speedlight 380 EX.

Comment

What a reminder of how quickly things can go wrong when out and about in this sort of terrain, and of course the effect of the clocks going back an hour!!
          I like No2 the best, with the rock in the foreground.

Regards Paul

Comment

Wow you go on some incredible walks.

Tom

Comment

You are indeed a brave sole to go out in those conditions.
              Thank you for sharing the story and images.
              Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
              Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Thanks everyone. Not really brave Stephen ... this was borderline dangerous. I thought the leader had planned an escape (turning right at the end of the ridge) which he knew. As it happened he didn't know ... and the only route I was familiar enough with in foul conditions was the way we went. I don't recommend anyone taking risks ... some of our walks do push the limits technically (which is okay for experienced types) but pushing thing in bad weather is stupid unless you know the terrain. If you've guessed I am slightly angry you are right ... SWMBO was waiting on the coach in a panic (mobile's are unreliable in the fells). Fortunately I go prepared ... several maps, torches, GPS, ... and was left managing the expectations of those close-by me who were very worried. Sorry shouldn't moan ... but there's an important safety imperative here .... which is why I'm labouring the point.

Still Tom - your eastern seaboard around NYC has Sandy to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
                  Still Tom - your eastern seaboard around NYC has Sandy to worry about.
                  Yep, she will be heading right toward us. Installed a sump pump yesterday, have plenty of water, just hoping we don't lose electricity.

Tom

Comment

Lucky to get any images in those conditions, your tale of Sundays walk Just shows how easily it can go wrong and people can get into serious trouble without proper planning. just glad it all turned out "OK" in the end though. "Good Luck Tom" over the next few days.

Ray

Comment

Top, top admiration from me..I struggle to walk up the road to work....hats off to you!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Like the foreboding skies shot. Well taken, in what sounds to be quite stressful conditions.

I confess, would walk around a shopping arcade and disappear into the nearest jewellers/handbag/shoe shop.
                        Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                        Di's Flickr

Comment

Thanks Tom, Ray, hhcanon, Di.

Di - Ah once back in Grasmere there are plenty of shops including a very nice bag (wouldn't call 'em handbags) shop and boot shops

Comment

Originally posted by MX5 View Post
                            Thanks Tom, Ray, hhcanon, Di.

Di - Ah once back in Grasmere there are plenty of shops including a very nice bag (wouldn't call 'em handbags) shop and boot shops
                            No jewellers then I take it. Just looked it up on the net, looks a very pretty place.
                            Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
                            Di's Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by DeeGee View Post
                              No jewellers then I take it. Just looked it up on the net, looks a very pretty place.
                              Lots of Wordsworth stuff and a famous Gingerbread shoppe.

Comment

Working...
                              X