Sizergh to Staveley (Cumbria)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sizergh to Staveley (Cumbria)

I led an 11 mile amble from Sizergh to Staveley (in the Kendal area of Cumbria). Surprisingly mild and just the briefest of showers. Although there was the odd bit of blue sky it stayed looking like something wet was in the offing all day. Quite a varied walk done a gallop! Only to find The Duke William no longer doing afternoon meals, The Eagle & Child packed ... as was Wilfs.

Not my bestest photographs [it was one of those days] ... but as ever these are to show places of potential interest to someone with the time to get things rights. I'm generally marching by with little time for photography niceties (well that's my excuse).

1. Sizergh Castle (A National Trust building)

f/3.2 1/250 ISO-100

2. View over to Whitbarrow Scar (from near St John's Church Helsington) ... splendid view not helped by very gloomy and flat lighting ... except over the estuary (hence the burn out).

f/3.5 1/320 ISO-100 (3 image crop)

3. Oh Bullocks - yes grazing as they do on Scout Scar (one with horns calmly wandered up very close to me!)

f/4.5 1/100 ISO-100

4. The Elba Monument (anyone who has driven down the A591 past Kendal towards Windermere must have seen this and wondered what it celebrates)

f/4.5 1/2000 ISO-200

5. River Kent (I've left this like this to try and convey the day)

f/2.8 1/500 ISO-100

6. The route

I packed just the G10 as the weather forecast was very poor. As it turned out I should have taken the 40D. Some tactical cropping.

Feel free to report technical & narrative blunders.

Thanks for stopping by.

Re: Sizergh to Staveley (Cumbria)

Ahhh, yes you were able to post on a Monday despite the errors. Nice series MX5.

Tom

Comment

Not your best- it is either my monitor or the rather poor weather. The cow/bull looks a bit soft. I like #5 a lot, which is very nice.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Nice series as always MX5.
        #1 needs a little straightening though.
        Well done and thank you for sharing with us.
        Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
        Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Thanks.

Nat - I agree not up to the usual, but the G10 can find it hard to deliver in the gloom.

Stephen - also agree but in mitigation I did rotate but can't recall what part of the buildings geometry I used to align to the grid. I might have another play, but I think aside from horizon-vertical issues there might be a lens distortion in there? Mind you equally it could be user error.
          Last edited by MX5; 18-12-2012, 18:48.

Comment

Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
            Di's Flickr

Comment

Like the geometry on the Elba monument image, spend a lot of time around Whitbarrow, at the moment I feel as though its Wellington Boots forever with the ground in the area you covered.
              An Image in Time is a Stepping Stone to Eternity

Comment

Thanks Di and Judder.

Judder - as you know the area you'll know that Elba Monument is both skewed (slightly Chesterfield Church spire like ... ah that's near another Staveley) and not perpendicular ... it doesn't look right from the road ... but close up (it's in a private field so you can't get very close). The sun is never quite where you want it when shooting contra-jour :-(

There was some mud ... but the scars being limestone were well drained and actually quite pleasant. Only real mud was the path that circumnavigates Croppers Paper mill in Burneside. I was giving my new Manta's their first outing - nice boots.

Comment

Working...
                X