Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Sizergh Castle to Staveley (Lancs)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Sizergh Castle to Staveley (Lancs)

The first part was a re-walk of Decembers walk, but thereafter all new. I was leading and had 8 followers and what turned into a 12.5mile ramble. It was very misty/foggy for most of the day, extremely mild (we all needed to remove at least one layer) and mostly dry ... although at one point the air temperature and dew point crossed and water precipitates out of the air. Very muddy as usual.

Note - for a change I attached the 24-105L to my 40D

1. St John's Church, Helsington

f/4 1/200 ISO-200

2. Did I say ... it was misty (the 'Mushroom' on Scout Scar)

f/4 1/400 ISO-200

3. Experiment using the 24-105L in vertical mode to stitch 7 images (Cowan Head 'luxury' flats in ex Paper Factory)

f/4 1/60 ISO-400

4. These flats have their own private golf course

f/4 1/100 ISO-400

5. Another from Cowan Head ('Paper mill cottages')

f/4 1/80 ISO-400

6.The Route

So 40D + 24-105L (some tactical cropping, although levels generally left as-is to convey the glooooooooom)

Feel free to report any narrative or technical errors.

Thanks for stopping by.
    Last edited by MX5; 07-01-2013, 17:58.

Re: Another Sizergh Castle to Staveley (Lancs)

Thanks for the Monday morning fix MX, it does look as if you had a very misty walk. The 40D and 24-105 seem to have worked well for you, my favourite is the last shot of the Paper Mill Cottages

Comment

Nice ones and shows the "class" of the 40D + 24-105mm combo! I like the first two ones showing the mist around you and more so the second one which has a Hitchcock eerieness!!
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Tom

Comment

Thanks everyone. I think I'll take the 24-105L again. I found the extra reach over the 17-40L useful and didn't really miss the wide as stitching was straightforward enough.

The main things in bad visibility are to ensure you don't loose the path and keep everyone close-by (which can be like herding cats at times). You can then enjoy the eeriness. Whilst I generally navigate from a real map, I do keep a GPS not just for logging the track!

Comment

You do realise I'm starting to consider the monday fix as part of my weekly exercise.
            Di ~ Trying to take "the" photograph.
            Di's Flickr

Comment

Working...
            X