Bodelwyddan (St.Margaret's) Marble church, Denbigshire,North Wales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went round to take some interior pics of this "famous Marble church" which can be see from the A55 travelling from Chester to Conwy. It was built/completed in 1860. It is called as the marble church because it displays 13 different types of marble. It was built by Lady Margaret in memory of Henry Lord Willoughby de Broke at a cost of £60,000 which is said to have bankrupted Lady Margret's family.

If you visit this church, look around the graveyard where more than 80 Candian war graves can be seen. Most of the Canadians who died was the result of the flu pandemic of 1918/19. But a few graves belong to those canadian soldiers who mutinied at the Kinmel Park camp.

Photos taken with Canon 5D MK2 + 40mm (Pancake) lens @ f2.8 ISO 100 delayed action 10secs,without flash,tripod used and Aperture priority.

(i)

(ii)

(iii)

(iv)
    Last edited by Nathaniel; 10-01-2013, 13:05.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Bodelwyddan (St.Margaret's) Marble church, Denbigshire,North Wales

no images ?
    Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
    Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Hereford_EOS View Post
      no images ?
      Take another look.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Very nice Nathaniel , I often wondered what the inside would be like, having passed the church on my travels to a Blue Light establishment a little further along the A55.
        Peter

Feel free to browse my
        Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Thanks for sharing Nat, I have only seen this church from outside it is nice to see the inside as well. Have you tried HDR on one of this to bring out the details from the shadows?

Raj
          Raj
          Flickr

Comment

Thanks Peter & Raj. It is worth a look at the grave yard as well although I did not wish to take pics of the same- thought it was too depressing in the present economic climate!!! The church is much loved and well maintained both inside and out. Raj, I will consider your suggestion re HDR. I may be wrong in my thinking but I have always thought that HDR was somewhat "unreal"! & kept away from it.

Comment

I drove past there yesterday and thought I must go in one day. Thanks for the preview, Nat.

Ian
              EOS600D, 17-40mm L, 70-300mm IS, 50mm f1.8, 18-135mm STM, Powershot S95, 12 extension tube, Speedlight 380 EX.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                I have always thought that HDR was somewhat "unreal"! & kept away from it.
                I was like you until recently when i saw Gavin Hoey video, it can be done without overdoing at 32bit.

Raj
                Raj
                Flickr

Comment

I am pasting a link to the Canadian war graves which might interest members. I take your point Raj. Thanks

Mobile phone technology is used to tell visitors why more than 80 Canadian war graves are located outside a Denbighshire church.

Comment

Photographer and lens have produced very nice images. Must call in there some day.
                    An Image in Time is a Stepping Stone to Eternity

Comment

Originally posted by Judder Man View Post
                      Photographer and lens have produced very nice images. Must call in there some day.
                      Thanks for taking time to have a look. I was in two minds whether to use flash but then decided against. I wanted the "moody" sort of image.My first use of the pancake lens.

Let me know when you are calling there as I can join you, and then maybe take you up to Conwy, Anglessey. You must break journey in North Wales without rushing around.
                      Last edited by Nathaniel; 10-01-2013, 21:58.

Comment

Very nice series Nat, thanks for sharing them

Tom

Comment

A little dark for me. Was it that dark inside?
                          I would of used a narrower aperture (f/8-f11) and a longer exposure plus a higher ISO.
                          Maybe worth a re-visit when the natural light is better.
                          Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                          Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Thanks Tom,Stephen for your comments. Yes, it was rather dark inside ,at the time of my visit,and I wanted to capture the scene as I saw it with the available light coming via the stained glass windows over the Altar and from the sides. Now that I have captured the scene as I saw it, I can always re-visit.

Comment

As a matter of interest (and sorry if this is a dumb question) how would you expose for the interior and still keep the stained glass window as shot?
                              I know you could take two photo's and merge them, but is there a way of capturing it in camera?
                              BTW Nathaniel I love the coloured light picked up on the wall in the last image.

Comment

Working...
                              X